2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 9:03 AM by cberwald1

Cannot get Vulscan.exe to reboot client machine properly

Apprentice

So this may be an easy question but I've scoured the forums for a bit now and can't seem to get this right.

Okay here's the scenario. I'm installing software to a remote machine and things are going good. Once the software is installed, Windows 7 needs a reboot. The software itself isn't what needs the reboot (so it's not setting some pending reboot regkey or anything like that). It simply needs a reboot to solidify some group changes on the machine for other processes to use.

Anyway, here's the script I'm using to reboot the machine (found it elsewhere on these forums):

"%PROGRAMFILES%\LANDesk\LDClient\vulscan.exe" /rebootwithui /rebootmessage="To complete the software install, a system reboot is required. Please save any open documents or files." /allowusercancelreboot=false /autoreboottimeout=300 /snoozecount=2 /snoozeinterval=1800

I'm getting the user prompt and everything looks good. I have the count down, the snooze option, and the reboot now option. However, if I wait for the countdown to expire or click on the reboot now button, the machine never reboots. I've verified that nothing would be preventing this reboot (some other install or somethign similar). I've let the machine sit for about 30 minutes and still no reboot occurs (I figured vulscan.exe might need some time). The LANDesk management console show the following error: "Failed: The thread is not in background processing mode. RC=401".

Now I could probably just deploy a "shutdown" command with a message or use provisioning and be done with it.

Am I just implementing something wrong here? We're on version 9 SP3 currently.

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Cannot get Vulscan.exe to reboot client machine properly
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Hi!

What's the setting in your agent configuration in security and compliance? There is a nver reboot checkbox there. Is it checked? This will take precedence over your task... If not, run 'vulscan e' to get to your vulscan logs and search for more meaningful messages there.

Frank

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot get Vulscan.exe to reboot client machine properly
            Apprentice

I verified that in the client settings, the "never reboot" box is not checked. Nor is the "reboot if necessary".

The vulscan log has the following:

"

DefaultRebootTimeoutAction: reboot

Found an active WTS session at index 1

Prompting user to reboot

Reboot dialog returning: 1015

Get reboot action returning: 1015

Checking for other instances of scanner or software distribution agent

Last status: Waiting

"

There was another vulscan log produced after this one as well. It mostly said the same thing:

"

System Language: ENU, OS Install Language: ENU

Platform: win7

OS Suite Mask: 256 (0x100)

SQL instance MSSQL$ISFSDB found with install path "c:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql10_50.isfsdb\mssql

exchange=

CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files

Actions.ini path: C:\Program Files\LANDesk\Shared Files\cbaroot\actions.ini

Checking for other instances of scanner or software distribution agent

Last status: Waiting

"

I did see that there were two instances of vulscan.exe (one started by the System account, the other by the locally logged in user).

So it looks like it times out while checking for other instances. I can run a manual security scan on this machine and it times out in the same place. Do you think it's just a matter of communicating with the server? Strange that it can receive a deployment, but can't run a system scan though.

Thanks again for the help!