5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2008 9:07 AM by MarXtar

Distribution package properties - Detection

Apprentice

I have had problems with this so called detection before and after leaving it a long time (years) i have come back to try and use it beleive it was a bug (after logging a call with LD), but it still does not work.  So maybe it is me at fault?

I have created a package to deply Adobe Reader, but if it attempts to install on a PC that alreadyhas that same version, then the installation dialogue box appears on the user's screen, whihc is not accepatable.

So i have added the following line to the Detection section of the package:

File exists at %PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Reader 8.0\AcroRd32.dll with version >= 8.1.2.86

I have tried it without the system variable as well, and using the alternate File Version from the file's properties from Windows Explorer (which = 8.1.2.2008011100), but still this package is run on devices that already have this installed.

Why???????

• 1. Re: Distribution package properties - Detection
          Employee

From the Help files.  Should explain why this does not work.

Using the Detection page

Use this page to detect dependent packages or applications that weren't

installed through Management Suite. A match on one or more criteria prevents

dependent packages from installing. This page doesn't affect the primary package. You can use these detection methods:

File exists

File version

File size and/or checksum

File date

Registry key exists

Registry value exists

Matching registry value

You can add multiple criteria. When you select a criteria from the list,

the options for that criteria appear below the list. Enter the necessary

information and click Add. Repeat as necessary.

• 2. Re: Distribution package properties - Detection
            zman Master

Maybe just me but I've always found using a prereq query easier.

• 3. Re: Distribution package properties - Detection
              Apprentice
              Ty wrote:

From the Help files.  Should explain why this does not work.

Using the Detection page

Use this page to detect dependent packages or applications that weren't

installed through Management Suite. A match on one or more criteria prevents

dependent packages from installing. This page doesn't affect the primary > package. You can use these detection methods:

File exists

File version

File size and/or checksum

File date

Registry key exists

Registry value exists

Matching registry value

You can add multiple criteria. When you select a criteria from the list,

the options for that criteria appear below the list. Enter the necessary

information and click Add. Repeat as necessary.

I cannot see that the Detection feature has any use at all???

Can someone recommend a method of detecting if software already installed to prevent re-installations?

• 4. Re: Distribution package properties - Detection
                zman Master

So if you are not a big detection fan, look at my post above and try a preq query.

• 5. Re: Distribution package properties - Detection
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Detection is purely to workout of a pre-requisite package is already present although logically you migt expect it to be used to detect the package before instllaing. The logic is meant to be that an MSI or LANDesk package builder packages already kno if they are already installed so won't re-install.

Zman is right, pre-req queries that say don't install if the package is detected by the inventory sanner i the way to go OR create a ake package for Adobe that has the real package as a pre-req so that it won't install if it is already there.

I agree it is confusing but there is a way to do it the supported way and then you cn raise an ER to get it to perform a 'more logical' way.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancement

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk