7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 8:58 AM by mrspike

How to repeat a schedule task hourly until complete

Rookie

Anyone know how to schedule a task so that any failed items are reschuled to reinstall hour later and runs until there are no more failed items.

• 1. Re: How to repeat a schedule task hourly until complete
          zman Master

Well you could schedule a required policy (push or pull). This would catch the failed computers,but it would run afterward dependent on how you have the client set to check for policies. If the agent was set to one hour, then it would check every hour and try and rerun.

• 2. Re: How to repeat a schedule task hourly until complete
            Rookie

First, let me say the computers are a few years old and in order to save system resources and keep the computers running as quickly as possible I have limited scans to take place every four days.

I am aware I could send an installation using policy, push/pull or even patch and compliance.  However, in our enviroment it would be great to simple push the install and have it repush to all devices which did not suceed each hour there after until complete.  Reason being, throughout the day most all computers end up on.

As you know as soon as you check the "Repeat every" box when scheduling task the "Schedule these devices" changes to a light gray drop down changes to "ALL".  I thought there was a way to alter LANDesk so that the Scheduled these devices does not go light gray and that you could alter the drop down.

• 3. Re: How to repeat a schedule task hourly until complete
              ChrisHagy Apprentice

You can do this by scheduling your task against a query that excludes systems that contain the result of what you are doing.. so If for example I was pushing office 2010 I would include only systems that do not have Office 2010.. this causes the query to reduce itself automatically via the natural query re-evaluation as well as when the target list is re-evaluated at the next "PeriodofTime" that you have it reoccuring at.

• 4. Re: How to repeat a schedule task hourly until complete
                mrspike SSMMVPGroup

You used to be able to trick the task by using the 'repeat every' and then (I forget how) trick to allow you to change to those that did not succeed. That changed in 9.x.

Why they do not allow this I do not know.

As Chris mentioned, the best way around this is to create a query that will only show systems still needing whatever it is that is needed and using that query to populate the task.

• 5. Re: How to repeat a schedule task hourly until complete
                  Rookie

In our case, we are simply copying several files and a shortcut.  The query thing woud be hard to pick those changes up.  Correct?

• 6. Re: How to repeat a schedule task hourly until complete
                    ChrisHagy Apprentice

Depends on what kind of files... if they are EXEs then an inventory update is all that would be needed.. if you wanted to do something more complex but customizable you could always create a custom definition to detect if a system has the files you want ( post deploy ) and target those that dont.. many ways just dependson the specifics.

James, the only way I have ever seen a trick like that even be attempted was through direct DB modification and I'm not sure that would actually work when it came to Execution time.

• 7. Re: How to repeat a schedule task hourly until complete
                      mrspike SSMMVPGroup

If the files are not ones that are usually in inventory it could be hard.   Another thought, make a custom definition (patch) that looks for those files, if not there, use the patch tool to install them