7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 4:56 AM by made

Unable to manage WinPE drivers from LANDesk console

Apprentice

Has anyone else run into this problem?  I have a couple LANDesk users who are unable to "Manage drivers in Windows PE Image" when they click the link under "Operating system deployment" it seems like it never correctly mounts the boot.wim file.

The listing of drivers will come up blank.  If they try doing it from another remote LANDesk Management Console then it works fine.  It seems like an issue with the local LANDesk Management console but I'm not sure the best way to troubleshoot. 

We are running LANDesk 9.0 SP3 and have RC-2012-6005 and BASE-2012-0605 installed.  All remote LANDesk consoles are also patched.

ManagedriversWinPE.png

• 1. Re: Unable to manage WinPE drivers from LANDesk console
          SupportEmployee

It typically indicates a problem with access to the folders within the boot.wim when it is mounted. If you look at the console.exe.log you may see errors indicating that it cannot find part of the path. In that case, cancel the edit window and from a command line run imagex /unmount. Imagex is in the C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\landesk\vboot directory. That should list (I say should because if you have rebooted between mounting wims it may not be listed) the wim files that are currently mounted. Manually unmount the wim (Imagex /unmount yourwimdir) and try to edit the drivers through the gui again.

• 2. Re: Unable to manage WinPE drivers from LANDesk console
            Apprentice

Running imagex shows that there are no additional .wim mounted on the local system.

• 3. Re: Unable to manage WinPE drivers from LANDesk console
              SupportEmployee

If you manually try and mount it on the core, does it mount correctly or does it say it is in use?

Create a folder c:\mount

From command line in the C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\landesk\vboot directory run imagex /mount boot.wim 1 c:\mount. See if you get an error. If not, unmount the image (imagex /unmount c:\mount).

• 4. Re: Unable to manage WinPE drivers from LANDesk console
                Rookie

We get this problem at our site.  If you manage the Windows PE drivers on your local PC Landesk Management Console after you update and save, the progress bar will hang.  Reopen Windows PE and it will show the blank screen.  All work is lost.  Very very frustrating.

Our fix for this problem is:

Go to \\<landesk server>\ldmain\ and copy bootmedia.wim.bak and put it in D:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\landesk\vboot

You may have to rename the old bootmedia.wim to bootmedia.wim.old if it exists and then rename bootmedia.wim.bak to bootmedia.wim.

Close your management console and reopen.  Drivers should appear.

My work around is I do the Windows PE update on the landesk server using the server Landesk Management Console.  I have to RDC in as it is offsite.  When done on the server I do not have the problem.

I then use my local PC Landesk Management Console to create the boot media.

• 5. Re: Unable to manage WinPE drivers from LANDesk console
                  SupportEmployee

Bootmedia.wim is designed for booting provisioning. I recommend grabbing the boot.wim from whatever most recent patch you installed that included a boot.wim file. The problem of everything being lost is actually indicating the boot.wim is still mounted. If you look at the console.exe.log, are there any errors during the unmount process?

• 6. Re: Unable to manage WinPE drivers from LANDesk console
                    v.taillet Apprentice

Verify if C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\%number%\imgtmp\Apply exist, with all winpe folders when you are injecting drivers.

Each time you edit the WIM (to inject drivers, modify the picture), imagex deploy it in the folder given (usefull to know if you want to modify startnet.cmd script for example)

• 7. Re: Unable to manage WinPE drivers from LANDesk console
                      SupportEmployee

Hi,

We use dism to mount the WinPE in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\imgtmp\.

Some permissions issues can block the deletion of the mounted folder. Please manually delete the Apply folder under imgtmp then mount again the WinPE via the console and this should be fixed.

Maxime