8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 8:29 AM by squreshi

Deploy SW to 10000 clients at once

Peter Lee Apprentice

Hi All,

I have 10000 clients and want to deploy a SW with multicasing delivering mothod. After the trial, I found it is quite slow. It looked like no doing parallel delpoyment. What parameters/settings can I adjust in order to speed up the whole process?

Thanks.

-Peter

• 1. Re: Deploy SW to 10000 clients at once
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

HI Peter,

There are a few of areas where the slowness might occur. This could be that you are distributing a package that has hundreds of individual files, possibly the number of subnets you are dstributing to, or even the throttling of the downloads that you have set.

Take a look at the delivery method you have selected. In Network usage - Multicast limits you can change the properties for the distribution including the number of simultaneous sibnets to manage. This is handled on a rolling window basis so that as one subnet completes it will move onto the next one. Also look at Network Usage - Bandwqidth usage and see what you have for the bandwidth usage to the core/preferred server. Also, look in 'Description' at the bottom is the number of devices for simultaneous distributions. Once the package has been sent, this is how many will be instructed to install simultaneous installations and this is also a rolling window. With this you may find that the package has reached everyone but it if the SW install takes a few minutes then it will take some time for this window to cover everybody.

If you have a package that has a lot of individual files then you could consider combining this into a single compressed file and distributing that for extraction and then installation on the clients. This is being updated in the next version and makes a significant speed difference without needing to bundle into a single file.

With the exception of these areas, multicasting can be incredilbly fast and playing with these settings can make the world of difference.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality

Update - State Notifier now detects machine and user Idle states

• 2. Re: Deploy SW to 10000 clients at once
            zman Master

In addition to Mark's suggestions, consider wether you really need to use TMC (Targeted Multicating). With peer technology and some other items you may not need to use TMC. Also some information concerning your package size, number of files, what version of LANDesk/SP.  As Mark says the defaults are very conservative.  Also can you quantify "slow"?

• 3. Re: Deploy SW to 10000 clients at once
              Peter Lee Apprentice

Hi Mark,

In my situation, I have only one .msi file to be distributed. The # of subnet might be more than 200. My core server has 2 * 6-cores-processors with 16GB memory.

At present, I found 2 issues.

(1) I don't see the rolling window you mention above. I use RDP to operate LANDesk console. Is it the factor? How can I make it showing up for viewing in some way?

(2) In the list of Multicast domain representative group, each device shows unavailable. This is not true. They almost are running normally. Please check the screenshot below: there is one device showing available and unavailable icons at the same time. Any idea?

Multicase-catch only_03.jpg

• 4. Re: Deploy SW to 10000 clients at once
                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Peter,

When I mentioned a rolling window I wasn't referring to an actual window on the server (although there is one you can see if you are viewing the console of the core server). By 'rolling window' I meant the simultaneous processing of a number of subnets where as one subnet finishes the next one would begin to be processed but with a maximum number of simultaneous multicasts taking place. The window on the core server would show this process if you can get to that.

That was an odd picrue of a device being online and offline at the same time. Maybe a slight bug in the console there but should not impact the multicasting process though.

LANDesk is using the IP address of the device that has been reported into the inventory. Make sure that is accurate. If these are multi-homed (more than one card or IP address) devices it can confuse the issue a bit so let us know if that is the case. Even if the selected representatives are offline, as long as one of the targeted devices is online LANDesk should choose one of them to act as the representative.

I can't tell from your screenshot why the failed devices are reporting that way. Can you explain? I do see lots of successful ones though. It is the case that machines can fail during the multicast for different reasons, but there is a second pass where they are told to launch the installation. At this point they will check their cache and if the package is not there they will ask other machines on their local subnet if they hold a copy (peer download). So if you are doing a multicast-cache-only action here, some failing is not a big deal as peer download will support the others when they need to install.

Hope some of this helps.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

LANDesk Silver ESP

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

• 5. Re: Deploy SW to 10000 clients at once
                  Peter Lee Apprentice

Hi David,

The package size is 2.8MB in one file. The LANDesk version is 9 with SP3. How slow? Affter running 2 hours, all of devices are still in running multicasting process. The whole task took 2 hours and 40 minutes to finish. The subnet might have more than 200. Please help to advise the better configuration.

Thanks.

-Peter

• 6. Re: Deploy SW to 10000 clients at once
                    zman Master

So depending on you network connectivity between your sites, you may want to experiment with NOT using TMC. 2.8 Mbs is not very large and there is always additional overhead with TMC (I think latest version coming out will be better). TMC is network friendly and will save an enormous amount of bandwidth. So the overhead for one small file is probably the same for one large file. You can also tune the TMC settings Multicast Limits and Bandwidth. The defaults are somewhat conservative.

Personally I would try just deploying without TMC. Peer technology will help.

• 7. Re: Deploy SW to 10000 clients at once
                      MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

I agree with David. Experiement with the settings. I'd expect with a file this size that you could dramatically increase the number of subnets multicasting at any one time although consider the impact on your main site's wan link with 200 * that single file.

Peer download will be very powerful but you need to get it to one machine on each subnet first and then peer download will only service clients in a 1 to 1 relationship so if only one machine has it, one machine can donwload from a peer, then 2 can, then 4 can etc. This can very rapidly scale up, but whether it is any faster than a multicast depends.

I have to ask though. Before you used TMC, how long would it have taken for you to get a 2.8MB file to 10,000 machines? What would the WAN/LAN impact have been? 2.5 hours isn't actually that bad is it? Is that just a file delivered or is it also the file installed?

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

LANDesk Silver ESP

• 8. Re: Deploy SW to 10000 clients at once
                        Apprentice

Peter,

Peer to peer download works great.

Also, in the past when i had to deploy something to a massive number of clients, i'd break up my distribution into two tasks:

Task 1. Cache the file

Task 2. Run the install

For Task 1. setup a distrubution job to just cache the file on the local machine. Also, increase the default cache removal timeout (i think its 2 days) to X number of days

For Task 2. On the day that you need to run the install, run the task to kick off the install and sdclient.exe will pick up the *.msi locally and run it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful