4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 1:46 PM by shawn.kanady

Server Reboots

Rookie

When running the shutdown.exe task in Landesk most of my servers reboot with success but I am seeing some fail.  The following is taken from the servicehost log on a failed server:

Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:56:49 2360: Exec: Exec: Launch request <"shutdown.exe" /r /f /t 0> (sync 1, timeout 2147483647)

Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:56:49 2360: Exec: Exec: Failed to create process (2)

Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:56:49 2360: EOF encountered parsing HTTP headers, client closed connection.

Can anyone explain what Failed to create process means and how I might go about fixing this issue?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Server Reboots
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

It basically means it can't start the executable-process. (2) is the return code, which usually means something like 'file not found'. Try running with cmd /c before the shutdown.exe, to be sure to use all path variables.

Frank

Axle-IT

• 2. Re: Server Reboots
            Rookie

Thanks for the reply.  The script that runs looks like this:

[MACHINES]

REMEXEC20=shutdown.exe /r /f /t 0

Should I just change that to:

REMEXEC20=cmd /c shutdown.exe /r /f /t 0

• 3. Re: Server Reboots
              Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Yes, try it like that.

Frank

• 4. Re: Server Reboots
                Rookie

Awesome, I'll give that a shot.  I appreciate it.  Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to attempt this until the next maintenance window.

While we're on the topic, I also see some of these on failed reboots:

Exec: Exec: Launch request <"shutdown.exe" /r /f /t 0> (sync 1, timeout 2147483647)

Sat, 22 Sep 2012 20:27:17 3124: Request Received "POST /services/exec HTTP/1.1"

Sat, 22 Sep 2012 20:27:17 3124: Exec: Exec: GetStatus: returning status 0 for terminated application 16dc (run state 0).

Do you know anything about that?