5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 12:41 PM by Jamie Cannon

Creating tasks for all users in a support group.

ViaBellator Apprentice

I am working on using groups to create approval tasks for multiple users in our change management process. Ideally, I wouuld like for the end user to be able to request authorization from multiple approvers by just entering a group name and then have the process automatically create individual tasks for each approver in the group. Currently, the end user must run the request approval task multiple times, once for each approver. It can become very tedious when there are more than 2 or 3 approvers.

Any assistance would be helpful.

Thanks,

Eric Hayes

• 1. Re: Creating tasks for all users in a support group.
          Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

What I would suggest would be to have an action in the workflow called "Request Approval".  Make that action associated to a window and on that window have a drop down list of the groups (they could just be a reference list if you don't have a ton of them) and then maybe an "additional details" box that they could type stuff in.  Then after that action in the process, create a condition or conditions to check for a certain group name from that drop down list and if it's true, have it create an  "approval task" to each member necessary as a separate task.  The tasks will go out at the same time and will sit in a status until they are all put in to some sort of End state or meet a "precondition" criteria that you set.

Does this make sense?

• 2. Re: Creating tasks for all users in a support group.
            ViaBellator Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply Jamie.

That is exactly what I would like to do.   My problem lies in this part of your reply:

"Then after that action in the process, create a condition or conditions to check for a certain group name from that drop down list and if it's true, have it create an  "approval task" to each member necessary as a separate task. "

I can't figure out how to make that part of the process happen. I do have the action created and the window created for them to select the group. I even made the condition that will check for group name, but can't figure out how to get it to create the tasks for the individual group members. I can only get it to create a single task.

• 3. Re: Creating tasks for all users in a support group.

I am not aware of a way to have it create the task for each member of that group based solely on the members of that group within Service Desk,  rather I was saying you will have to create a single task auto action and configure it for each person.

Example: if group A has Joe,Sally and John then if group A is chosen then in your process you will have 1 task go to Joe, 1 going to Sally and 1 going to John as single tasks all connected together coming off the YESf that condition.

Sorry for not being clear.  Hope this helps

• 4. Re: Creating tasks for all users in a support group.
                ViaBellator Apprentice

I follow you now. I can probably make that work. Sounds like it may be a bit of an administration nightmare if the groups change though. Thank you so much for your help. I'll post back and let you know how it turns out.

Eric

• 5. Re: Creating tasks for all users in a support group.

I see your point there.  Hopefully it'll work out for you.  If I come across any easier solution I will post back.