8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 10:00 AM by bcasler

LDMS 9.5 Migration Document

Rookie

Hi All,

Hope All having great time......

Since LANDesk will release the LDMS 9.5, I have question for migration from any previous version to this latest. If any have suggestion or documentation do share with me.

If there no document release, do share the timeline for same..

Regards,

Mahesh

• 1. Re: LDMS 9.5 Migration Document
          EMiranda Expert

we are on 9.5 for testing and I don't see anything different about migration than previous version. Still uses UMA.

• 2. Re: LDMS 9.5 Migration Document
            zman Master

No official docs have been released since 9.5 has not been released. I hope that the installatio/migration document is less sterile than before. There are a lot of large changes in 9.5. I think sometimes we just look at the getting the bits on the drive and forget about what those bits are change directly and indirectly. 9.5 is a good move for LANDesk but the migration will make or break first impressions. I think better docs on what parts have changed,removed, etc... and THERE IMPACT ON FUNCTIONALITY needs to happen. Example  - I wish core replication would work between differnet versions of LANDesk. - 9.0 - 9.5. This would make it significantly easier to partially migrate from one version to another.

As EMiranda indicated, the actual process may have not changed, but the effects of this process have significanltly impact on your core!

Purley a guess since I'm just a LANDesk user like yourself - look for end of Oct beginning of Nov.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: LDMS 9.5 Migration Document
              Rookie

Hi All,

Thanks for response, I Think i'm in hurry or rush, will definitely wait till all document are release by LANDesk.

Again thanks for all support.

Regards,

Mahesh

• 4. Re: LDMS 9.5 Migration Document
                Apprentice

here is what i proposed to landesk as a migration from 2003 32 bit to 64 bit strategy

OK what about this

1.      Create new 2008 R2 server to proper specs

2.      Shut down LANDesk services and rename 2003 core server

3.      Rename 2008 server same name as old 2003 core server

4.      Install 9.0 LANDesk

5.      Patch 9.0 LANDesk (9.3 is the latest)

6.      Copy and replace all files from old core server installation  to new (any file under program files LANDesk)

7.      Connect new 9.3 server to database

8.      Run to make sure it worked

9.      Then upgrade to 9.5

An   any thoughts

• 5. Re: LDMS 9.5 Migration Document
                  Apprentice

Dont do this..  LANDesk recommends highly that you never rename the core server. It is not supported.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2677

How are you clients currently connecting to your old core? Is it using DNS name of old LANDesk server?  If so,  I would build a completely new LANDesk 9.5, import your old certificate from the old 9.0 server and create a cname for the old server and point clients to your new server.

Alternatively, have both LANDesk servers up side-by-side and deploy new LANDesk 9.5 agent to all your LANDesk 9.0 clients.

See the best known methods for installing LDMS 9.5

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-26992

• 6. Re: LDMS 9.5 Migration Document
                    Apprentice

the old 2003 server would not be my "core" a that point it would only sit there as a 'backup" if needed to be renamed back

the ‘new server’ would then have the same name as my old and everything should work

I know i have to do new cleints at some point but it may take a while with prod servers

• 7. Re: LDMS 9.5 Migration Document
                      Apprentice

Ah ok. Sorry I missed that. I will let someone else answer.

Just make sure that your new server has the certificate from your old server otherwise you're clients won't be able to report back.

Someone else posted these files here before, minumum stuff that should be backed up/moved..

Certificates from c:\program files (x86)\landesk\shared files\keys

Agent Behaviors from program files\(x86)\landesk\managementsuite\ldlogon\agentbehaviors

LDAPPL3.template / .ini from program files\(x86)\landesk\managementsuite\ldlogon

Alert Rulesets from program files\(x86)\landesk\managementsuite\alertrulesets

OSD boot image from program files\(x86)\landesk\managementsuite\landesk\vboot (boot.wim and bootmedia.wim)

HII Driver files from program files\(x86)\landesk\managementsuite\landesk\files\drivers

Scripts folder from program files\(x86)\landesk\managementsuite\scripts

UMA Configs from program files\(x86)\landesk\managementsuite\ldlogon\UMA

• 8. Re: LDMS 9.5 Migration Document
                        Apprentice

your pointing me back to these does not answer my question of how do I (as easily as possible) keep all my current settings and upgrade to 9.5 rather than having to reinstall and redo 9.5

changes like my scan template etc

posted before your responce was seen