5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2012 3:46 AM by elizabethcombrink

DavMail Exchange Gateway with LANDesk Service Desk

elizabethcombrink Employee

Does anybody have any experience of using DavMail POP/IMAP/SMTP/Caldav/Carddav/LDAP Exchange Gateway with Service Desk?

Its been suggested to sit between Exchange and LANDesk Inbound Mail service to translate between IMAP and MAPI.

any comments?

• 1. Re: DavMail Exchange Gateway with LANDesk Service Desk
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

It might well work, but isn't on the supported platforms list (as you probably know!).  Personally I found MAPI tended to be less reliable than IMAP (or better SIMAP).  This might have been due to the fact the server needed a client, or the reliability of MAPI clients at that time, as it was some time ago.  From memory some mail server managers didn't like MAPI because of this client piece that was always needed.  On the odd few times I've worked through peoples concerns with IMAP I've usually found a way forward.  Are there specific issues being raised about IMAP without your organisation?

• 2. Re: DavMail Exchange Gateway with LANDesk Service Desk

Hi Dave,  We've had so much trouble in the past with IMAP clients (all those macs with Entourage or Mac Mail) that our administrators simply did not enable MAPI when they upgraded to Exchange 2010, and we migrated all the macs to use Outlook 2011 which uses the Exchange Web Services (I believe).  Which from a support perspective is LOADS bettter.

It took us 3 years to move away from imap because it adds significantly to the workload of the threads hitting the server due to enumeration algorithms used by the protocol.

From a corporate perspective, the other companies in the group are struggeling with the same issues, and are also trying to switch off IMAP, so it sounds like a lost battle.

Anyway, I'll investigate DavMail and then the powers that be can decide which way they want to play it.

• 3. Re: DavMail Exchange Gateway with LANDesk Service Desk
              dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Understood - with IMAP in Exchange you can enable the exchange IMAP module and just enable it for given account(s), but if there is a matter of principle involved then I can see where you are going.  I think there will be an equal number of horror stories about MAPI (I can add a few of my own), so it would be best for LANDesk to support more mail protocols.  I suspect a number of people here will be interested in knowing the results of your researches.

I do recall putting in a copy of a similar product to act as a mail relay for reasons which are too long ago to remember.  It worked fine and use the main mail exchange server as a relay.  That simple mail server was called Mercury and for commercial users was pretty cheap.  For demo purposes I've also used hMail.

• 4. Re: DavMail Exchange Gateway with LANDesk Service Desk

I agree totally - but the only way Landesk will spend the time is if we ask them to. I'll raise an ER to give us something to have our voices heard.