7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 4:59 AM by martin.sanders

Error invoking business function - Auto Add parent change "invoked without a valid data input"

Rookie

Hi,

I've searched for a resolution to this but can't find anything. Maybe someone has seen this before....

I am getting an error when the Change process is trying to automatically raise a parent change.

Error.png

I had a bunch of pre-populated information from the original change when it failed first time. I then removed all of that so it would create a blank change and continued to get the same error, even after restarting the console.

Does anyone know the root of this? Or have any suggestions as to why I can;t automatically raise a parent change? Happy to share process diags etc....

I was on a Servicedesk bootcamp course with LANDesk a couple of weeks ago which was my first exposure. Still a bit of a Noob I'm afraid!

Thanks,

Martin Sanders

• 1. Re: Error invoking business function - Auto Add parent change "invoked without a valid data input"
          Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

Sounds like you need to have the "Add Parent" action within the status that the workflow is coming from and going to.

When adding a Child Change to a Change you will need to make sure that the  OPEN status of the Process used for the Child Change has the action "Add Parent" available as an Optional action as the existing Incident will be added to the Child Change as a Parent Change.

When adding a Parent Change to a Change you will need to make sure that the OPEN status of the Process used for the Parent Change has the action "Add Child" available as an Optional action as the existing Incident will be added to the Parent Change as a Child Change.

To do this:
          Deactivate the process and click on the status before this auto create of the parent and after.  Click the properties button down near your toolbox and open the collection.  Add the "Create/Add Parent Change" into both of those. 

See if that helps.

Also, if not, could you post some screenshots of your auto action window with the pre-populated data?  Could just be something wacky in there.

Thanks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error invoking business function - Auto Add parent change "invoked without a valid data input"
            Rookie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks, yes I went through the articles and made sure I had the manual actions on the status either side and on the open status, both for add child and add parent.

The form is fairly basic, there weren't any calculations in there and I removed all the placeholders and runtime values.

Here's a shot:

Change form.jpg

Change form 2.jpg

I'm actually concerned about the business objects involved. This is not a fresh install and attempts have been made to use the change modules in the past.

There is a business object called 'change change' which has an icon which I assume means invalid. The only attributes it has are parent and child both as 1-2-1 relationships.

On the 'change' business object there are parent and child collection attributes, which makes sense, but there are no parent or child business objects in the change module.

Change objects.png

Is that how it should look?

If not could you remind me of the out of the box setup is so I can recreate it? I'm trying to use as many standard objects as possible.

Thanks,

Martin

• 3. Re: Error invoking business function - Auto Add parent change "invoked without a valid data input"

My icon is the same.  I don't think that is the problem.  I believe it has something to do with the workflow.  Could you post shots of your workflow or email them to me?  jamiec@rennerbrown.com

Thanks,

• 4. Re: Error invoking business function - Auto Add parent change "invoked without a valid data input"

Oh, change change is the parent/child business object that is used for that relationship.

• 5. Re: Error invoking business function - Auto Add parent change "invoked without a valid data input"

Ohhhh wait... I think I know now.  I hope this is what you are wanting.

The Add Parent Change needs to have a Change reference number in order to add it as a parent.  You can't have a parent/child relationship without knowing the identity of the parent.  What you want to do is actually "Create Parent Change" and then you can create a new change as the parent.  This is going to take you creating a new action on parent more than likely (if you don't currently have that action available). 

Here is how:

1.  Go into Object Designer and open the Change Management --> Change object

2.  Find "Parents" and right click and click Manage Actions

3.  Click Add and give it the name "Create Parent Change" and make sure the Action Type drop down shows "Create Related".  Leave propagate to children unchecked.

CreateParentStep1.JPG

4.  Now, open your Change process and add in the newly created "Create Parent Change" as an automatic action where you require it.  Once added you can pre-populate as needed.

5.  Click on the auto action and then click the Properties associated with it and you can change the default process to follow the workflow you want that change to follow.

CreateParentStep2.JPG

6.  Save your workflow and give that a shot.

7.  Make sure on your windows you have "Parents" collection added and visible on the tree so you can see the associated parents for your change.

CreateParentStep3.JPG  CreateParentStep4.JPG

8.  Likewise with the "Children" attribute.  This way you can drill into the parent and see the child as well.

CreateParentStep5.JPG

Now once you create this parent it will still have to go through the proper process you tell it to follow.  If you already have a change created and you just want to add a parent change, add the "Add Parent Change" as a manual action.  This way you can choose what change you want to be the parent.

Sorry this is so long but this should get you what you are looking for.

Good luck!

• 6. Re: Error invoking business function - Auto Add parent change "invoked without a valid data input"
                    Rookie

Thanks Jamie, I see where you're coming from.

I'll test it this morning and let you know how I get on.

Thanks...

• 7. Re: Error invoking business function - Auto Add parent change "invoked without a valid data input"
                      Rookie

Thanks Jamie - All sorted. I hit a couple of other issues along the way but its all sorted and creating changes at a rate of knots.

Cheers!