7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 2:01 PM by NickBrown

Creating an end-user read only role

NickBrown Apprentice

Hello,

I'm trying to create a read-only role for end users. Anyone ever done this, any guides out there?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Creating an end-user read only role
          NickBrown Apprentice

OK, so I have a read only role created. But only analysts can use it to see tickets. Which actually makes sense. Allowing end users access to read tickets would put a big loop-hole into the Landesk business strategy. Seeing as you could have infinite end users work on tickets, and only then need one analyst license to modify the tickets... Shucks.

Answered my own question when I thought of it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating an end-user read only role
            ITSMMVPGroup

You can carry on without incurring the wrath of the LANDesk licensing team if you ensure that all queries on the portal restrict users to only seeing their own tickets or (if they are a manager) those of the team they manager.  This is legit.

• 3. Re: Creating an end-user read only role
              NickBrown Apprentice

Yeah you're right. Here's why this is such a pickle. The user in question doesn't actually work in IT or do anything related to the tickets. She works for an auditing department. Because of a major project that we have understaken related to electronic health records, our company has beefed up our auditing on these tickets. She doesn't need to see the ticket in reference to what the ticket is, but she needs to see the history behind the ticket to see why there was a reason someone may have potentially looked at patient health information through the EHR.

Looks like they're just going to have to buy a license. I figured as much as I thought about this more. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Creating an end-user read only role
                ITSMMVPGroup

I think you will easily get approval for this based on that background.  A named license would be the way to go I think

• 5. Re: Creating an end-user read only role
                  NickBrown Apprentice

Can you expand on that? What is a "named license"?

• 6. Re: Creating an end-user read only role
                    ITSMMVPGroup

Sure thing. From 7.4 onwards LANDesk introduced an extra license type for analysts.  The original licenses before 7.4 were called 'named'.  You bought a number of these and allocated them to the particular analyst concerned.  The extra license type was concurrent.  You bought a number of these and allocated a bunch of analyst to share their use.  So for a named license the person can always get in.  For a concurrent license you may run out once the pool has been used up.  Once someone logs out, they free up a concurrent license.

I'd recommend 1 concurrent can serve about 3 people if they are not using the product all the time.

Named are cheaper and from your description would ensure the QA person can always see what they need to see.

PS although from a sales point of view you were supposed to be able to buy these concurrent licenses from 7.4 onwards, in practise it only works 'properly' in 7.5.  If you are on 7.4 (or earlier) it's time to talk to your sales account manager or think about an upgrade (or both!)

• 7. Re: Creating an end-user read only role
                      NickBrown Apprentice

Awesome. Thank you for that bit of info. I was not aware of that. That makes sense, I'm glad Landesk offers that option.

Interestingly enough I'm updating from 7.4 to 7.5 SP1 in two weeks so that would take care of that.

Thank you for your time and knowledge!