4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2008 12:49 PM by puercomal

Custom Data - Date Field

Rookie

Can I use the LDAPPL3 file to scan a registry entry and have it entered into LANDesk as a date.  We image computers using a third party software that puts the date the computer was imaged into the registry.  I would like to be able to have LANDesk scan for that entry and have it assoicate with the computer as a date.  Currently it is simply a string value so it cannot be queried as a date.   Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Custom Data - Date Field
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

In short - you cannot.

For one, your problem is that whatever format Windows saves something in as a date is usually not the format a database expects stuff of a DATETIME format to be in.

For another, most of the dates/times the inventory scanner sends are in CTIME format (numbers of seconds since Jan 1st 1970, in short) - which again is different to what Windows saves things by default.

Generally, because of this, the only "viable" way to read custom data from registry and put it into the database "peacefully" is as custom strings - regardless of what it's "real" datatype may be.

Welcome to the "wonderful" world of data translation :).

What exactly is it you're trying to do - why does a string not work for you in this particular case? Background helps - as does what you're actually trying to acheive.

Hope this helps.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Custom Data - Date Field
            Rookie

I had a feeling that would be the answer.  I am able to use the data as a string it just involves me exporting the inventory to a csv file and then importing it into Excel where I can change the data type and sort oldest to newest.  Not really a big deal just more time consuming.  Thanks for the help!

• 3. Re: Custom Data - Date Field
              Rookie

Just for anyone that may come accross this in a search:

I was eventually able to achieve the custom date field by doing some data modeling and changing the way our software writes to the registry.   It took some testing, but I finally got the modeling and the data just how I wanted it.  We also were able to go back and change the existing dates to the cdate format using a vbscript.  It has allowed us to create queries based on the date.

The document used to model data is here:

Basic Data Modeling for Management Suite

• 4. Re: Custom Data - Date Field
                Employee

Are you familiar with ldms_client? I wonder if your technique is something that could be generalized for use in that framework?