4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 3:41 PM by busbey

c and database with patch manager

Rookie

I have some concerns on what problems I may encounter if I use LANDesk to patch the core server and database. Logically I think it should be the same as patching any other server but I was wondering if I should be manually patching these servers after turning off the LANDesk and DB services. Are there any best practises available or does anyone have suggestions?

• 1. Re: c and database with patch manager
          zman Master

You will get two answers to this, one that says use LANDesk to patch your core (community) and one that says don't (LANDesk). I personally use vulscan to patch my cores and never had any issues as many others here have done. LANDesk will say don't since there is too much going on the core. I don't think the issue is so much the patching but the rebooting. I do reboot afterwards not part of the patch process. Again every environment is different and you need to test and verify things work in your shop, but why use/pay for a product that can't be used on itself

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: c and database with patch manager
            Rookie

I think due to the amount of MS patches I'm facing I'll use vulscan. Any thoughts on the LANDesk database server? Before patching other database servers I usually get the services stopped and make sure there are no connections open. Obviously in this case I can't do that if I use landesk. I don't think there will be any problems but I'm wondering if anyone has run up against anything doing this.

• 3. Re: c and database with patch manager
              zman Master

So I would segregate actual SQL related patches from Microsoft OS patches. The OS patches I think you are safe without mucking with SQL and the true SQL patches most you can apply with the services running. Also depends a lot on whether you are clustered or not.

• 4. Re: c and database with patch manager
                Rookie

Thanks for your help. I'll do what you have sugested.