1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 5:55 AM by sthanley

Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt

Apprentice

Good afternoon,

I have setup the catalogue in our development system, I have Services configured as business and published out. I have setup the TPS config files for WebAccess and Framework to point to a location with access and Touchpaper Background Service appears to be running normally. However every time I finish the search index when trying to go to the service catalogue shortcut in Web Desk all that happens is that I get a blank screen. This is highly confusing. I have checked the Objects and they are set to knowledgeable, configured for the Service Catalogue and Title is set for searching "Is Natural Language" but still nothing is coming up at all and it's just sitting on this grey page when going to the service catalogue:

Can anyone help with this at all as I cannot find anything I've done wrong looking at the documentation or the documents on the community.

Many Thanks,

Anthony Mitchell

• 1. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
          Expert

Hi Anthony

Did the rebuild run successfully?  If you go into the Knowledge Management Administration (usually in the Knowledge Management shortcut group), select the Knowledge Settings (3rd icon at the bottom) and then open the Queue Entries you'll be able to see if the rebuild was successful.  If this is only in test I'd do another one anyway to be on the safe side.  If it hasn't completed is the Knowledge service running on the app server?

Helen

• 2. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
            Apprentice

Helen,

Thanks for your reply. Sadly yes the rebuild was successful and when opening up the individual records it shows "2 Services" in the rebuild information. At the moment it's fluctuating between giving me a slate grey blank screen and a service catalogue with nothing in it. I should also mention that I am using the SA account to take permissions out of the equation for the time being.

Many Thanks,

Anthony Mitchell

• 3. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
              Expert

I'm racking my brain at the min as I've had this before.  It's definitely not a major thing to fix, it was something stupid.  Can you check one service that should be showing and ensure In Service Catalogue and Business Service are both ticked.  Then check that it is definitely published to the role/group that you're using.  Close out of your web session.  I'd then do another rebuild, wait for it to complete, do an IIS reset and hope for the best!!

If I can try and remember what it was exactly I'll post up straight away - I'm definitely leaning towards it being an IIS reset or a rebuild though as we had just over a 100 services when we went live and this did happen twice and I'm sure I would have remembered going through each one to check if they were published and stuff.

Helen

• 4. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
                Apprentice

Helen,

Thank you for your continuing help. I've been fighting with this for most of the day and I've confirmed the publishing by Role to Administrators and confirmed that they are business services. I've done an IISReset a fair few times "just in case" and still it's messing me around. I'm personally of the opinion that it's just messing with me at the moment

Many Thanks,

Anthony Mitchell

• 5. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
                  Expert

No problem at all Anthony, wish I was being a bit more helpful in getting it sorted but we'll get there eventually!

Did you check that In Service Catalogue is ticked?  I have this attribute on my Service CI window but you can also do it from the Service Catalogue component as well (this is probably the proper way to do it!!).  I think in here want you want to do is open the Service Catalogue Contents Tab, if you select Service Catalogue Contents then this will show everything where "In Service Catalogue" is True.  If it's not there check in the available CIs list on the same tab, if it's there highlight it and then do the action "Add Selected".  It should then show in the Service Catalogue Contents list.  See below for a screenshot - I do find this easier and quicker though by having the attributes In Service Catalogue and Is Business Service on the CI window, then when I create a new service I can do everything from that screen, and just go into the other when publishing.

Helen

Serv Cat.png

• 7. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
                    Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

Make sure in your web config file the "Free Index Search" is pointing to the correct catalog entry.  It's possible it's looking local when it should be looking at the server that runs the knowledge service.

• 8. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
                      Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Hi Anthony,

This might be a long shot but have you checked that your services are both associated with an active process? The easiest way to do this is open them in Configuration Manager, there should be an attribute on them for the associated process that must be filled in. If you can't see the attribute for process then you might need to add it to the window.

Thanks,

Lara

• 9. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
                        Apprentice

Helen,

Thank you again for your response. I had found that post of Lara's and went through that already. To answer you and Jamie all the TPS.config files are pointing to exactly the same place unless there's one I'm missing and the folder shows that it's updated at the time I run the rebuild and when the rebuild is complete I get a blank grey screen when navigating to the service catalogue link in Self Service. I am using the SA account to remove all privileges from the equation for now. In addition for now this is all being done on the webserver so that the network location isn't relevant. Touchpaper background services is running on the server (and only that server) and everything is being done from the server so local should be working fine.

Lara,

There was not an active process set for them. There was a process set for them, but it was not active. I activated the process, checked the config files, made sure they were correct, rebuilt the catalogue search index and IISReset just in case and still no dice.

I have attached a screenshot of what it gives this time.

I'm thoroughly confused as this shouldn't be this hard and I cannot find any reason why this isn't working.

SERVICE REQUEST ISSUE.png

• 10. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
                          Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Hi Anthony,

Oh, that's really strange it's not drawing the header bar or left hand pane either. The only thing I can think,(and this one really is a long shot) is that for some reason your link to the catalogue is broken. Can you try recreating it by following the steps on page 23 of the Service Catalogue manual - LANDesk Service Desk Suite 7.5 Service Catalogue.

Having said that, if I try going to the same URL as in your picture on a DB that doesn't have SC configured I still see the header and some of the left pane...

Failing that, log it with Support. I've never seen it not load anything before!

Thanks,

Lara

• 12. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
                            Expert

Oh yes that is really strange.  When I've had an issue before the header and lefthand pane are still there, it's just literally the main screen that was appearing blank. 

• 13. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
                              Apprentice

That's the funny thing Lara, it fluctuates between doing what you suggested and drawing the left hand pane with a blank catalogue if I delete the index files and the blank screen I posted earlier once the service catalogue has been rebuilt. It happens in both IE and Firefox though I have not tried any other browsers and it happens locally and remotely.

If you have no other ideas Lara then I will log a ticket with support this morning.

Thank you all for your help, if you have any other ideas they will be gratefully received, otherwise I will shortly log a ticket with support

Many Thanks,

Anthony Mitchell

• 14. Re: Service Catalogue Blank Screen in Web Desk After Search Index has Been Rebuilt
                                Apprentice

Lara,

Believe it or not this was the issue in a roundabout way. I'd created two test items in the catalogue and when I activated all the request processes to be sure and it still didn't work I was quite confused. After trying several things this morning I found several things of interest:

Firstly I had chosen a "Task" process for one of the catalogue entries instead of a request process and the task process was inactive anyway. I will have to setup a filter on the "Lifecycle" object to show only Active Request lifecycles.

Secondly I had edited the TPS config files in the relevant locations and set it as my own location: in this case a locally created folder. However the indexes were still being created in two different places, the default AND the new location I created. When I checked the configuration centre and the configured applications they had a field for the "Searchvalue", Web Access' was pointing to the default location and the Framework one was blank. I deleted my edits to the config files and just set them both in there.

My final question now that I am at the bottom of this is this: When setting that location it has to be the same location across all servers so presumably on my app server it's framework should be pointing to {\\webserver\share}? A silly question but it could just as easily mean that the string in both has to be identical (i.e. "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\touchpaper\touchpaper.framework.web" on both servers)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                1 2 Previous Next