4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2008 6:17 AM by zman

OS licensing

Apprentice

Hi,

i have a querry related to OS licensing.

In my scenario i have OEM licenses, i use Landesk for capturing and deploying the OS images, the script that we use for deploying the OS image in that we enter 1 license key and that key is deployed on every machines, and as per Microsoft this is a license breach.

Is there any way that whenever we deploy images on the machines it should automatically go for the windows activation.

Is it possible through Landesk or any other tools

• 1. Re: OS licensing
          zman Master

I personally would get some form of EA agreement with Microsoft so you can avoid this situation, however, this may not be an option for your shop.

Are you just referring to OS licensing or OS and application?

How are you using OSD? Image, Sysprep/minisetup, etc...?

• 2. Re: OS licensing
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

If you use sysprep, you can also simply not include the activation key (it would then prompt you for entering the license key).

Other than that - "what zman said" pretty much. Bit more description of what you're trying to do, and life could be made easier with the right agreement with Microsoft, but down to your budgets + so on.

What's in the realm of the possible for you?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 3. Re: OS licensing
              Apprentice

Since we dont have a  volume licenses, we are not using sysprep option, we are taking the images as per the machine model.

If i use sysprep will the issue be reolved, if yes then can you provide me the steps as how to proceed with this option.

• 4. Re: OS licensing
                zman Master

Here is a very good article on this situation.  Look at Generic Keys.