4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2008 9:50 AM by phoffmann

Machines Not shown in Unmanaged devices

Apprentice

Hi,

We have created a certain script which shows us the machines in which landesk agent is not installed.

but when i scan for that particular VLAN that machines are not shown  in the unmanaged devices. But when i manually run the agent, the agents gets installed and its shown under managed devices. Can anyone help me out on this issue.

• 1. Re: Machines Not shown in Unmanaged devices
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Usually this is down to the clients already existing in the DB (old agents, CSV-imports, etc. etc).

Pretty much the easiest way to check is to go into the database and query a few tables ... first question there would be is how comfortable are you with SQL / querying the database?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Machines Not shown in Unmanaged devices
            Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Also, network scans do not detect devices with the windows Firewall on.

That is why we have XDD.

• 3. Re: Machines Not shown in Unmanaged devices
              Apprentice

I have my collagues who are master in SQL so if you can suggest me something on SQL then i can take help of my collagues.

Do tell me the querry as how to proceed further.

• 4. Re: Machines Not shown in Unmanaged devices
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

The point about firewalls is a very good one. I forgot the "obvious" part - so that's something you should definitely look at.

Other than that, it's all pretty simple. You just need to check for "MAC_Address_of_a_Client_Refusing_to_show_up" in a couple of tables, or check if the hostname already exists.

So - let us assume:

Your devicename == BobsPC

Your MAC-address == aa-aa-aa-aa-aa-aa

You want to check the following:

select * from COMPUTER where DeviceID='Unassigned'

>

select * from COMPUTER where DeviceID IS NULL

Yes, we've not used the devicename yet, nor the MAC-address directly as part of a SQL query :).

A few additional things to check for are also :

select * from BOUNDADAPTER where Computer_Idn IN (select COMPUTER_IDN from COMPUTER where DeviceID='Unassigned')

>

select * from BOUNDADAPTER where Computer_Idn IN (select COMPUTER_IDN from COMPUTER where DeviceID IS NULL)

>

select * from BOUNDADAPTER where PHYSADDRESS='aaaaaaaaaaaa'

Notice that the MAC-address is scribbled out in a straight string, no dash seperating two bytes. So "aa-aa" becomes "aaaa".

select * from NETWORKADAPTER where Computer_Idn IN (select COMPUTER_IDN from COMPUTER where DeviceID='Unassigned')

>

select * from NETWORKADAPTER where Computer_Idn IN (select COMPUTER_IDN from COMPUTER where DeviceID IS NULL)

>

This will give you all the devices that have "somehow" made it into inventory without a MAC-address (CSV-imports, manual additions, etc.)

And finally (though this is stuff you SHOULD see in UDD) you can do

select * from UNMANAGEDNODES

>

If your device(s) do not show up ANYWHERE here, then you want to start looking at firewalls being enabled / routers blocking you.

Hope this helps.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.