8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 2:01 PM by zman

Move to new hardware

rabinod Apprentice

I have LANDesk 9.0 SP1. I’m running SQL 2005 SP3. I want to move to a new server. We only have one core server. I would also like to move to Windows 2008 R2 when I move to the new hardware. What is the best way to get this done.

• 1. Re: Move to new hardware
          Apprentice

I would back up all of your queries, packages, certs, etc using the export utilities. Then take the old server offline and the do the build on the new server and import what you want. This is a good opportunity to clean up any old queries and such items that you dont need anymore.  Be sure to replace the certs on the new server. If the server has the same name the agents will start reporting inventory. If you have the default daily inventory scans your DB should be repopulated within 24 hours or so. By allowing the clients to repopulate the DB as opposed to migrating your DB will be free of any corruption that may have built up.

Not everything can be exported (IE software licensing) so this method may require you to do some rebuilding but is usually pays off with the cleanest build.

• 2. Re: Move to new hardware
            rabinod Apprentice

Do you know if there is a document that has all the steps, so i do not over look anything. How about a document to back up queries, packages, certs, using the export utilities. I would think LD would have such a document since so many have to perfrom this kind of task over time. Any other info you can provide is very much welcome and appreciated.

• 3. Re: Move to new hardware
              Apprentice

How to Import and Export Distribution Packages and Delivery Methods;

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2323

Import and export queries;

http://help.landesk.com/Topic/Index/ENU/LDMS/9.0/Content/Windows/queries_t_import_export.htm

Copy the .CER, CRT and .0 files from the old server's backup on c:\program files\LANDesk\shared files\keys and put them in the same folder on your new server.

• 4. Re: Move to new hardware
                rabinod Apprentice

This is why there should be a document on this, how about managed scripts, scheduled task, or are they already in something I'm going to export based on the approve.

• 5. Re: Move to new hardware
                  zman Master

If you are running 9.0 SP1 you can run core sync and sync mostly everything to the new core. There are some items that you can't sync SLM, Provisioning, etc... There are many ways to do this including using a backup of your existing DB restored to a new name. There was a post we did a while ago that was pretty good, searching for this now.

I agree that the documentation has to be better in situations like this, and the old addage that well kind of do it this way etc... is long past.  Anywho here is the link I was referring to that should help http://community.landesk.com/support/message/62023#62023

• 6. Re: Move to new hardware
                    rabinod Apprentice

You mean to tell me, even if you have paid support, there is no document? This is not a path for success, something will be missed. Also, I can not remember every tweak I made over the last 5 years. I came to this group to get a basic understanding, just want to familiarize my self with some steps and was hoping to read about how others proceeded, this way when I read the official documentation I had more of an idea.

Thank all

• 7. Re: Move to new hardware
                      Apprentice

Of course you could use the well documented in-place or Side by Side upgrade. I prefer the more solid and clean approach of a fresh install with no old baggage. In my experience you will spend more time cleaning up after an upgraded type of install than you would in just the rebuild.

This is by no means unique to LDMS. I would never do an in-place upgrade for a Windows Server or any other major software version.

• 8. Re: Move to new hardware
                        zman Master

Correct it depends on the unique requirements of that shop. Clean may be the best way, however, you have to evaluate the pros/cons of all the scenarios. Also, you sometimes have to approach this from the mind set of a new admin using a new DM tool. Sometimes too many options are confusing and sometimes (in our case) a godsend. Core sync can also help with a new clean install and you can selectively sync from old to new. My comment concerning documentation is that it is not existent, it needs to be better.  What is nice about the community is you can get multiple points a view and evaluate what is better for your particular situation. Me for example, I have a very extensive SLM environment both politically and technically, so I have to bear this in mind. I think if we get to the point where core sync can do everything, handle different versions of the product (automatically sync from older to newer dropping unsupported features, etc...) this type of situation will be a lot easier.