3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 3:36 PM by joebaggadonuts

See what is currently being pulled/pushed from core server

Apprentice

Management is asking me if there is a way I can see what our Landesk server is currently pushing out and to what machine?  We are getting calls from our branch locations saying there network is horribly slow.  The network team see's our core servers address as the source, and the client machine as the destination.  So management wants me to show them what is taking all the bandwidth.  We have another Landesk admin that approves updates, and he just autofixes the patches, so he could not give me a definitive answer as to what is being pushed at the moment. Thanks for any answers!

• 1. Re: See what is currently being pulled/pushed from core server
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

No there isn't something like that. The LANDesk Core doesn't control the download of the data, that is handled by the client via http or UNC shares so you would need something that monitors those connection instead. If autofix is being used then other than monitoring IIS connections you have even less info because it is being controlled by the clients without linking to any related policies.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality

Update - State Notifier now detects machine and user Idle states

• 2. Re: See what is currently being pulled/pushed from core server
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Remember though that standard LANDesk behaviour is to use things like peer download to minimise bandwidth and agent settings allow control over maximum bandwidth usage. It is possible for landesk to swamp a link, but hard unless these settings have been configured incorrectly. You shouldn't really be getting all that much from your core server though. Are they able to see what ports or even webservices the communication is on?

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality

Update - State Notifier now detects machine and user Idle states

• 3. Re: See what is currently being pulled/pushed from core server
              Apprentice

Wow. I read this and I thought someone posted something that I did. Seriously though. We went through this when we first got the LANDesk Suite. We splved it by testing various setting (moving the slider in the delivery method) changes to allow us to determine, as closely as possible, what the throughput is with a given setting.

What I did to relax the network guys.

1) Set the delivery to 30% of the WAN speed in a delivery method

2) Created a deployment task using that delivery method for a moderately sized payload (400K - 800K)

3) Wait till it is the middle of the night and no one is at the target site.

4) Have the network guys use their monitoring tool (ours can tell how much of the T1 is being used over a given time and by whom).

5) take a look at the run the next day and see what percentage of the T1 is being used.

6) Adjust the slider on your Delivery Method as required.

Keep in mind that (regardless of what people tell you this is what we observed) the LANDesk Delivery method does not adjust to ALWAYS use what you have the slider set to. It is close, but not something to rely upon during business hours. What I did was get our deployments to consistently operate at 20% of a T1. Once proven the network guys allowed my team to use that deployment build during the day to two or less machines at a time. Remember that once the package is on site you can have the next package you send only connect to peers.

LANDesk has a great many tricks and treats, but you have to develop them. and when it comes to the network infrastructure team it is best to remember, "Don't make the Hulk angry."