3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2008 3:53 AM by phoffmann

LDMS 8.8 Custom SLM Reporting

Rookie

I would like to run a custom report on SLM but have not discovered the correct attributes to query on.  The end result would be for a report to show "all software in the SLM which has never been used and on what device name"  A second report showing "all software in the SLM which has not been used in the past 180 days and on what device name"

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated!

Thank You!

• 1. Re: LDMS 8.8 Custom SLM Reporting
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

The "correct" direction here is SQL.

The SLM-related canned reports that come "on the house" all have some SQL hard-coded around them, which is not really easily repeatable through "normal UI options".

The easiest (or least difficult) way to do this is going to be pulling that information straight out of the database.

How familiar are you / is your DBA with the schema of the LANDesk DB? Might be worthwhile potentially for your DBA to raise a quick call to LANDesk support and have someone give him a crash-course through the setup of the SLM-tables. It's not "hard" per se, most of it is pretty intuitive, there's just a few 'gotchas' to look out for potentially :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LDMS 8.8 Custom SLM Reporting
            Rookie

Thanks Paul,

I'm surprised that type of ad-hoc reporting is not availiable through the management console....maybe in a future release?

Anyway, Thank you for the information...I'll go bug our DBA now ?:|

Eric

• 3. Re: LDMS 8.8 Custom SLM Reporting
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

It'll be a good enhancement request certainly (having had some time to think on it), so I would ask you to open up a ticket with support as usual and just log this as a normal ER, that way we can get it logged with your interests attached.

The problem of running a report on "all software" is that in some circumstances this can be quite a horrid task (especially if we're talking 10 GB+ of just SLM information) ... so whether some additional caching tables or so for this report would be the way to go ahead would need to be thought about ... one of those 'looks easy on paper' approaches, since we need to find a way for this work for our heavy SLM users as well.

Anyway, have a nice day.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.