4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 4:50 AM by mla1

Sysprep deletes Windows Media Player link from All Users

Apprentice

Sysprep appears to be deleting the Windows Media Player.lnk file from All Users and Default Users, both in the Desktop and Start menu.  I tried running a batch file in the GUiRunOnce section of my sysprep that copies the link from the Administrator's profile (the link doesn't get deleted from the Administrator's profile) to the All Users or Default Users profile.  The batch file runs perfectly when it is manually executed after Sysprep has finished, but it doesn't work during Sysprep.  I know for a fact that the script itself is being ran during Sysprep because it is successfully executing other things fine in the script.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Sysprep deletes Windows Media Player link from All Users
          Rookie

Wich OS and imaging proces are you using?

• 2. Re: Sysprep deletes Windows Media Player link from All Users
            Apprentice

I am using HII OSD, Windows XP Pro, LDMS 8.7 SP5.  I've applied the microsoft patch to the image that prevents the Administrator's profile from being copied to the default user's profile during sysprep.  I've also discovered that while the sysprep performs the GUIRunOnce commands, the link is still existant in the All Users and Default Users profiles.  But after the GUIRunonce is done, at some point, the links are removed.

• 3. Re: Sysprep deletes Windows Media Player link from All Users
              Apprentice

Anyone have any input on this?

I have found that while the GUIRunOnce commands are running, I can open a DOS prompt and see that the Windows Media Player.lnk file exists in the All Users Start Menu\Programs directory.  Either right before or after (I assume before, as a last step to sysprep) the link is removed.

I've tried writing a batch file to execute as the last step in the GuiRunOnce section, with the ldsleep command in it that will sleep for 10 seconds before copying the link from the administrator's profile.  This does not fix the problem.

• 4. Re: Sysprep deletes Windows Media Player link from All Users
                Rookie

I know its a bit late but experienced the same problem myself searched around and noone has an answer so had to figure it out myself.

Build your windows XP SP3 machine.  (and configure the administrator profile so that it will be used as the default profile).

to do this add the following line to your sysprep.inf.

UpdateServerProfileDirectory=1   (this needs to be underneath the [Unattended] section).

Then Launch windows media player as administrator and set it how you want it for the user to displayed.

You then need to blank out the following 2 REG_SZ  keys leaving StubPath intacked.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95}\StubPath

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}\StubPath

sysprep your machine and hey presto.   Shortcuts are not deleted during sysprep and Media player launches for the user pre-configured.

If you are doing this unattended and need it scripting let me know.