10 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2008 8:34 PM by RyanG

Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image

Rookie

I am having a problem when attempting to PxE boot and capture a workstation image.

I receive the error:

'Waiting for IP address.....

The network adapter driver was not found

Failed to get LocalHost IP Address'

I have injected the .sys, .inf, .cat file for the network adapter into the WinPE image but still get this error?

Any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
          Rookie

What kind of NIC?  Was it the most recent version of the NIC driver you could find?  The reason I ask... I have seen some of the Broadcoms, 57xx in particular, where WinPE was particular about which version of the driver was there.  Drivers that worked in XP, didn't in WinPE.  Drivers that shipped with Dell.   I had to go to the manufacturer's site and download a newer version.

• 2. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
            Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The NIC is a Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet. It is a relatively new NIC. It also meets with what you mention in that it works when I deploy an capture from LANDesk with an agent installed but not with WinPE.

Do you have any further information or a doc link?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
              Rookie

Don't have a doc link, just past experience..:-)  If it's a new model in your environment, I would suggest going to Broadcom's website and downloading their latest drivers, and injecting them into your WinPE image.  Not a guarantee, but that's usually what worked for me.  I've found that the drivers that come with the PCs or come from the PC manufacturer's website are not always the latest drivers...

• 4. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
                Rookie

Thanks for the tip...

Ive just pulled the latest files down and that didnt work!

Very frustrating!

Still get the same error.....

Any other ideas?

• 5. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
                  Rookie

Still not loading the NIC drivers?   ....... Huh........  Did you remove the previous versions from the image?  If you have another .inf with that device ID in there it may be hitting that.  Really, beyond that, I am just not quite sure.....  I would certainly pull up the NIC properties in Device Manager in XP, get the device ID from the "Details" tab, and start looking at the broadcom inf files in WinPE and make sure....

• 6. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
                    Rookie

Strange I know

I'll persist with it though...

One other related question..

When you are prompted to select F8 there are two WinPE options to chose from ... one is Managed WinPE and the other is WinPE which one relates to which image file?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
                      Rookie

"Managed WinPE" is for pre-targeted tasks.  The other one is when you want to pull up the WinPE menu and select your task. 

To use "Managed WinPE", you could target a machine for a OSD task in your console when it is powered off  or via the PXE holding queue(it is often used to target new machines that have been imported to LANDesk prior to deployment by using the CSV import utility, you can find documentation about both in your "help" files).  The task will, of course fail, as the machine is not online.  However, you can power on the machine, boot to PXE and select "Managed WinPE" and it will  launch WinPE and begin the task you previously pushed to it.

• 8. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
                        Rookie

Thanks... I thought as much 'managed is when the agent is installed and reporting into the console'.....

Ive now removed the .inf and .sys files that I originally moved into the WinPE image. I have downloaded and applied to both the image and the PC the latest drivers from Broadcom but still no success!! very annoying

I have similar problems when I used to use Microsofts WDS which relied on files being in specific locations, etc.....

Are you able to create your own image (WinPE) and use this to deploy made up of specific files for your environment?

• 9. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
                          Rookie

I have resolved this.

I had no pushed the 'PxE representative script' out to the PxE representative server. The machine now connects to the script folder... only now when I select the script does nothing!!

This is another issue though

Cheers

• 10. Re: Error when attempting to PxE boot and capture image
                            Apprentice

Hi Darren

Ive got the same problem with the NetLink Broadcom NIC. It just doesnt seem to work in WinPE. Can you shed anymore light on this?

I dont have any PXE reps to confuse the issue. Am imaging directly off the VLAN with the server on it (atleast for now).

Thanks in advance.