1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 8:28 AM by Frank Wils

Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning

Rookie

I desperately need a hand. I am a newbie to landesk.

I have been testing our Win7 iMages deploying it using provisioning but somehow I can't get the computer name correctly. All our PXE reps are woriking and the images were deployed correctly on the client except that it creates its own computer name.

We wanted to have the computer name as the dell service tag.

note that these PC's are not yet in the inventory database, these are new PCs that we wanted to have windows 7 on it. Usually we add it to bare metal server folder under configuration and we set the device name as the service tag with the mac address as the identifier.

We also use unattend.xml script with the computername as a vairiable designated as %ldHostname% and under public template we set the ldHostname as a database with replacament value of "Computer"."Device name"

For the life of me this is not working!!!!!! I have been working on these for 4 days, searching the community and can get an answer.

I can confirm that the variables are picking up the correct service tag (computername) as I had manually tried the syntax below

C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /reboot with the unattended.xml file copied on root drive c: and it will set the computername correctly.

However, when using provisioning on landesk it does not apply the inject script unattended.xml file.

we are on LD MGT Console 9 SP3.

has anyone came across this issue? or is it just me? Is the Landesk ver 9 SP3 broke?

can anyone advice on where to start?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
          MrGadget Expert

Johnj, your unattend has %ldhostname% which gives the name the unregistered miniscan name from Landesk as LDmacadress.

i believe you need to put %servicetag% or %service tag% (not sure which) in the unattend.

Also in provisioning if you have more then the recovery & system partitions (example theres a OEM there) then the inject script goes to the wrong partition. We had to select D in the inject script section.

• 2. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
            Rookie

Thank you MrGadget.

I have tried %servicetag% and still does not work. I do not think it lies with the variable naming as I have tried manually on the client running a sysprep command mentioned on my first port and it does name the computer as the serivice tag. However, in landesk these variables are not commited for some reason.

I have not tried setting the partition to Drive D, but will try tommorrow and see if it set the computername correctly, but I doubt, as on the client PC I can see that there are two partitions, OEM and the OS. On my provisioning template, I have set the OS as drive C and inject the unattended.xml all of these got a successful results on provisioning history. It just that it won't apply the computer name as service tag.

It should supposed to get the computername on what ever name you set on device name on bare metal service folder. Apprently its not doing this.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
              Rookie

for the benefit for all those landesk users who are in the same boat as me. I got it to work by editing the unattned script and changing the processor archetechture from x86 to AMD64, someone posted it here http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7480.

• 4. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                v.taillet Apprentice

it was not a landesk problem, you used an x86 unattend script to deploy a x64 machine

%ldHostname% was correct (computer MUST be known in LANDesk (name/mac address)), Microsoft provide a catalog for each architecture, you can find it on a Windows 7 dvd/iso

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721962(v=ws.10).aspx

You can use WSIM to edit it and add more options (like creating account, setting up the pnp folder, setting up the timezone, etc)

If you delete the line <ComputerName>%ldHostname%</ComputerName>, Windows will ask you the computer name

Use "install script" to put your scripts in LANDesk, and use prov action "inject script" to install it.

Create a unattend script per architecture, per country (for timezone), and double it with or without "target" (= with or without <ComputerName>%ldHostname%</ComputerName> line)

Ex :

Unattend - x86 French - no target

Unattend - x86 French - target

Unattend - x64 French - no target

Unattend - x64 French - target

Unattend - x86 Russian - no target

Unattend - x86 Russian - target

Unattend - x64 Russian - target

Unattend - x64 Russian - no target

etc...

• 5. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                  Rookie

jsut to be clear I only edited amd64 on the speilize section of unattend.xml where in the variable %ldHostname% can be found the rest of the oobSystem are on x86. This is now working for me without issues.

v.taillet you are right this is not a landesk issues it somehow lies in sysprep. Now everything is working for me here.

Thank you for your suggestion v.taaillet. I do not have to add a script as the computer name is now picking up on whatever device name i had to put in on bare metal server folder under configurations. This is what I wanted to achieved.

• 6. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                    Rookie

Sorry this is not yet solve. I had deleted my scheduler task and re-created it and tried deploying my provisioning tmeplate with the process architecture to amd64 on my scripts. It changes the computer name correctly however on the pc itslef it prompted me to put in keyboard layout, location.. etc.. whic is already on the unattend.xml. Weird!

• 7. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                      v.taillet Apprentice

yep, normal

You must have a template for x64, and another template for x86, because your unattend.xml is not common, each architecture have own syntax

You said you just have the "computername" section with "amd64", but all the unattend.xml must have "amd64", you can't mix "x86" and "amd64" syntax

please find in attachment an example of my "Unattend - x64 ES SP1 - no target.xml" and "Unattend - x86 ES SP1 - no target.xml"

• 8. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                        Rookie

v.taillet thank you for sharing your unattend files.

just a quick question how do you guys set your computer name? do you have to use other script in naming computers? Basically we just want to use the service tag as the computer name. I followed the prvisioning template by adding the device with the mac address as the identifier and the service tag as the device name on bare metal server under configuration we then schedule  our provisioning temaplate and drop the device from the bare metal server to the schedule task and run it. The provisioning documentation seems to work but on our environmet this is not happening it just names the computer as a random character.

I do not know if the settings below needs to be on the oobeSystem, or on specialize?

<settings pass="specialize">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="x86">

<ComputerName>%ldHostname%</ComputerName>

</component>

</settings>

• 9. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                          v.taillet Apprentice

we have multiple methods :

- bare metal to associate a name and a mac (template "target" with computername unattend.xml)

- if the computer is already known thanks to landesk agent inventory (template "target" with computername unattend.xml)

- if the computer is a new one, not know by landesk (no bare metal, no previous inventory), operator can choose template "no target" (without computername in unattend.xml)

In the last case, Windows ask the computername at the first boot.

In attachment, you have a french x64 unattend.xml "target", with the line "computername" (in "specialize" section)

• 10. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                            Rookie

Hello Vincent,

just another newbie question. How are you sysprepping your images, did you select audit mode with generalize uncheck or on OOBE mode with generalize enabled?

JohnJ

• 11. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                              v.taillet Apprentice

Audit mode with generalize checked

Don't forget to activate your master image (we use KMS), because if you don't do that, you will broke your master wim and you will not be able to modify it a more than 3 times (after 3 sysprep, the wim is unsuable, and the "skiprearm" option is not a good choice too)

• 13. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                                Rookie

I still can not get this to work.. Not sure were the problem lies. I have tried capturing win7 images below with the results when deployed through

Win7 captured using sysprep with generalize enabled on audit mode, when deployed through provisioning, client errors out something about could not start service it will continue to be configured after reboot

Win7 captured using sysprep with generalize unchecked on audit mode, when deployed through provi.., the machine keeps its computer name to whatever name you set when capturing.

Win7 captured using sysprep with generalize enabled in oobe mode, when deployed throough provi.., machine gets a random characters name.

All templates and unattend.xml file i used is the landing page for provisioning ldms9sp3

Am about to give up..

• 14. Re: Can't get the computer name correctly under OSD using provisioning
                                  Rookie

finally got it working!!! at last

I do not know where the problem was but I got it working. I started from scratch and I followed the OSD provisioning document carefully LD9SP3 and I created a fresh Windows 7 image and syprepping it with the OOBE with generalize enable. This seem to work!

I can now set the name of the machine to the dell service tag. I am using bare metal and add the device in there using the service tag number as the "Name" with the mac address as the identifier.

I have been battling this to get it to work for almost 3 weeks now

Happy Landesk User!

Just to note that the template I am using including the unattned.xml are from the landesk provsioning landing page SP3

Message was edited by: John Jumawan

1 2 Previous Next