7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 5:40 AM by Frank Wils

How to deploy software for Macintosh?

elkum Apprentice

Hello

I have a problem to deploy software on a macintosh test client (Mac OS 10.8.2).

We are using LANDesk Management Suite 9.5. We configured and scheduled the mac agent. On the client we activated the remote login feature. So, we started the task and the status was for hours on active - not specified. We decided to install the agent manually. This worked. Now, we try to deploy a test software on the mac client: 1. Distribution packages -> New Macintosh package -> Name and http-location of the dmg file. --> Save. 2. Rightclick on the package --> Schedule Task --> Standard push distribution as delivery method. --> Start now.

Now, it is again during a long time on the status "Active - not specified". Do anybody know what the problem is?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to deploy software for Macintosh?
          SupportEmployee

Are scheduled tasks to other OSes working? If not it might be a problem with the scheduler service on the core and not the agent. Another possiblity is DNS issues. The core could be contacting the client giving it commands but when the client tries to send status back to the core it resolves the core name to an IP address that is not the IP of the core server thus sending status to the wrong device. If your package is hosted on the core (like the agent install is) then this is doubly problematic.

• 2. Re: How to deploy software for Macintosh?
            elkum Apprentice

Scheduled tasks to other OSes (Windows 7 and Windows 2008 Server) are working.

Our mac agent is on the core server: \ldlogon\mac\

Our dmg package is on the core server too: \ldmain\landesk\files\dmg\

If it is the DNS issue, how can I solve it?

Thank you

• 3. Re: How to deploy software for Macintosh?
              elkum Apprentice

Now, I took a look in the services of the core server and I saw that the LANDesk Policy Invoker is not started. And when I try to start the service, I get the following error message (screenshot). Can this be the problem? The file does not really exist on the filesystem.

28-02-2013 19-11-41.png

• 4. Re: How to deploy software for Macintosh?
                SupportEmployee

That in not a good sign. I recommend you call into support. A post 9.5 patch exists for Mac and the fact that you are missing files means you could have a much larger problem.

• 5. Re: How to deploy software for Macintosh?
                  leffrt SupportEmployee

You're putting your DMG package in the LDMAIN share?  You sure that is open to these machines?  Try manually browsing to the DMG from a Mac.

• 6. Re: How to deploy software for Macintosh?
                    Rookie

We found (on previous Apple OS versions), that if we didn't have the FQDN in the distribution and task setups, that it would sit all gleefully on 'active' for.....well, *ever* and never execute. We also had a few ring-around DNS entries for the core. ;-) Cleaned those up with proper forward and reverse, and still enter the FQDN info manually into the tasks. Now.........10.8.2 is my next challenge.....onto another post. ;-)

BTW...does the remote management setting in Mac's Sharing pane have to be activated? -Thanks!

• 7. Re: How to deploy software for Macintosh?
                      Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

The missing Policy Invoker doesn't mean to much. It is a LANDesk Agent service. This means that you had a LANDesk Agent installed prior to installing LD9.5 and the uninstall didn't remove the agent.

Frank