9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2013 12:57 AM by dmshimself

Create Incident or Request from User window

rcronje Apprentice

I have a request by a client. They are insisting that they don't want create an incident when someone contacts the service desk and change it to a request at a later stage.

They want the analysts to start with a user screen in order to verify details or create a new user. They then from this screen want to create an incident or request (copying over the user as the raise user).

As this is a uncommon requirement I am not finding much info in the community.

So can you guys suggest the best way to accomplish this that will work in the Web desk as well as the Console?

Service Desk 7.5 SP1 Hotfix 7

I have just had a discussion with the client and I have gotten them to change the requirement.

what they actually want is for the analyst to check the user details first and then initiate an Incident or Request. I am thinking that I need to publish the Administration component to the web desk and make sure that they have permissions to maintain end-users. The only problem I see with this is how can I copy over the user details to the new incident or request process from the user maintenance screen.

Any thoughts or ideas on this will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Create Incident or Request from User window
          leffrt SupportEmployee

You should be able to create a link on the end user in the new incident/request window.  Then they can enter the end user and if the information needs to be updated they can click the attribute link and edit.  Of course you will need to modify the privileges to give them access to do that.

• 2. Re: Create Incident or Request from User window
            Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

What you could do is to create a workflow (or modify your current one) to launch a window with details you'll need (User Information). Add a hyperlink to the label name next to the End User field.  When clicked this will take you directly to the users window to retreive information OR just add the information fields you need from the End User to the form itself.  Save that.  Then include an action for "Is Incident" or "Is Request".  If it is "Is Incident" just let it go along in your Incident workflow.  However, if it's a Request, have the "Is Request" action create a new Request using the default Request workflow within the system.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what needs to be accomplished.  If so, please let me know.

Thanks,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Create Incident or Request from User window
              dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Our way of handling this in our version of the OOTB database is to use the Call Domain to log the top level details.  Then the process gets the analyst to decide what type of call it is and then a request/change/incident/problem is generated using an automatic action to create those specific domain processes with copies of the relevant data copied across.

It's not the only way, but it is pretty clean.

Another way is to have all your processes in one domain and then use the Reinitialise action to switch from one process to another.

Another way is to have 'convert to incident', 'convert to change' as actions in the request process.

Ideally reinitialize would allow you to also jump across different domains, but it doesn't.  If an ER were to be raised for this (if one hasn't already been) then I'd vote for that!

• 4. Re: Create Incident or Request from User window
                elizabethcombrink Employee

I'm sure I posted this before :-)

I don't use the Request domain at all - for exactly the reason you state.

I only use the incident domain to log all my tickets, be they service requests or incidents.  I use the category to then determine if its a service request or an incident.  The Incident domain is just a label - the enduser / analyst does not need to know about the backend stuff and how it all sticks together.

I'm happy to show you how my stuff works - let me know if you want to get in contact

• 5. Re: Create Incident or Request from User window

if you want to stick with just using Incident originally you could modify your workflow to check for the category and if it equals request, have the auto action to create a request with the details from the Incident then close the ticket automatically with a "Request Raised" end state.  This would just be to note that this Incident really got created as a Request.

Dave, there is an ER I did for the reinitialize some time ago.

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2275

• 6. Re: Create Incident or Request from User window
                    rcronje Apprentice

Thanks for all the input everyone. They were all considered but the winner is (drumroll please..................) dmshimself.

I went with his option because it is quick to implement and is exactly what the client wanted.

• 7. Re: Create Incident or Request from User window

So lucky!  Hahahaha.  Glad you were able to get what you needed.

• 8. Re: Create Incident or Request from User window
                        dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Result!.  If you ever need someone to come over on a fully funded, fact finding research mission, I'm your man :-)

• 9. Re: Create Incident or Request from User window
                          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Cheers Jamie - I hear seaching for ideas in the community might be getting a bit of a tweak up at some point.  Consider my vote already added