13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 7:39 AM by Carl.Simpson

Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5

Apprentice

We recently upgraded our (UAT) 7.4 ServiceDesk to version 7.5 and noticed as part of testing that existing queries either no longer worked or certain criteria within them did not take affect

Does anyone know if there was a criteria limit in 7.5?

It could be that a bug allowed the query to work in 7.4 and this is now fixed in 7.5

I have attached a screenshot of the criteria which has not changed between upgrade

Thanks

Chris

• 1. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
          Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

I'm not aware of any issues with prompting queries moving from 7.4 - 7.5.  You may want to run your MDM again from Configuration Centre.  If that doesn't work, it may be worth calling support to make sure there isn't a known bug.

• 2. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
            Stu McNeill Employee

Hi Chris,

There is a known issue in 7.5 SP1 with problem number 5617 that will be causing your issues.  Unfortunately only the frist 9 criteria will be used.  Please contact your support provider quoting the problem number to report your experience of the issue.

Thanks

Stu

• 3. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
              Apprentice

Hi Stu

Many thanks for confirming that - as a workaround we can reudce the criteria used on the query

Cheers

Chris

• 4. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                Expert

I ran into an issue were the criteria wasn't working in WebAccess.  Seems that Webaccess doesn't work well with queries that are on the window.  It is much happier when a FILTER is added to the object.  In my case I needed rules to select the correct filter.  And to make it more fun only 6 of my 18 copies of my filter show up for use.  I had to adjust one of the filters that did show up and then it started working.  So if your using a query to limit options on a Window, know that you might see different results in Console vs Webaccess.

• 5. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                  Apprentice

"Seems that Webaccess doesn't work well with queries that are on the window.  It is much happier when a FILTER is added to the object."

Just spent my morning learning this the hard way.  It's basically impossible to use 2 different queries on 2 different windows to filter something, at least in my database on 7.5.  It's frustrating to follow instructions only to find that they are out of date.

• 6. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                    Expert

Miketedeschi wrote:

"Seems that Webaccess doesn't work well with queries that are on the window.  It is much happier when a FILTER is added to the object."

Just spent my morning learning this the hard way.  It's basically impossible to use 2 different queries on 2 different windows to filter something, at least in my database on 7.5.  It's frustrating to follow instructions only to find that they are out of date.

It's funny you mention that.  I mentioned that exact possibility with Support.  It wasn't a problem for me at the time, but I saw how it could be limiting.  There is a bug where the filter gets recreated (I am at 18 at the moment) as well.  I think we need a better solution.  I don't know why a filter is better than a query but I do know it worked well when the Window's attribute could be controlled by a query.  I think it would be best to just make that work in WebAccess rather than putting filters on the object.

• 7. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                      Apprentice

Yes, exactly what I experienced also.  Adding the attribute query on a single window automatically (annoyingly) also added the query to the object like it was a filter to begin with, essentially making queries on window level a useless waste of time.  I tried to work around it, time for a conditional filter.

In a situation where you are forced to use a filter before saving, have you been able to filter on a condition based on an attribute that is "hidden on the window" or read-only?

I ask because the only way I can get conditional filters to work on "before save" windows (assignments, w/ 3rd party, etc) is to create a toggle attribute to trigger the filter.  In the assignment window below, I filter out unwanted groups and analysts with a filter based on the dropdown in the lower-right corner.  The user can adjust this field which disables the filter.  If I make the field read-only or hide it, the filter won't work.  I would prefer to make it impossible for someone to assign outside the specific groups for this process.  The groups have different parents, so I can't filter on the runtime current user either.

filters.png

• 8. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                        Expert

In WebAccess it seems to ignore the Window queries that Console uses so well.  Somehow I just can't get around the feeling that this is a bug.  When you expect something to happen and it doesn't, a crazy work does not constitute a fix, it's just a band aid to cover it up.

As for your problem, you need something on the incident which is saved before you do an assignment.  Maybe the status, a calculation on the incident, or other attributes can be used to help you filter.  If your calculation is on the assignment it will fail like you have seen every time. To make it even more interesting, analysts and groups are used in many places so you may have to account for that as well.

I like the queries on the attributes of the Window, it was so much easier.

• 9. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                          Apprentice

I know that's the answer, but I can't get any copy rule to work on assignment until the assignment is saved.  Not even the word "hi" which is saved on the incident.  But it says Hi on the assignment after the assignment is saved.  oh well, thanks!

• 10. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                            Expert

Wow, I assumes you could access incident but not something in the assignment.  I guess we need an ER. 

• 11. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                              Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

Try adding the main, top level Incident attribute onto it.  It'll show as a dropdown list but serves as a reference for the assignment collection to look at that ticket number.

• 12. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                                Apprentice

Jamie, thanks for the suggestion.  I just tried the main incident attribute but it shows up in web access as a greyed out dropdown.  I think something else is going on.

• 13. Re: Issue with Queries not working since upgrade to 7.5
                                  Expert

Maybe some screen shots would help.  Maybe.