6 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2008 5:00 PM by Jared Barneck

Attempting Image Capture: Receiving a "1 off" error. Please Advise.

Rookie

I am trying to image an Optiplex 745.

It goes through the whole process till I get my WinPE menu. I select the script I want to use, and it just sits there with the green cloud in the lower left hand corner.

When I view the dlog file I see this:

"Machine","CbaStatus","ExitCode","Duration","Begin","End","Command"

"(OFF) 001AA079E524","OFF","N/A","0:00:00","5/5/2008 2:46:08 PM","5/5/2008 2:46:08 PM","N/A"

; "Job Complete","0 Done","0 Failed","1 Off","0 Unknown"

A little history on this; the technician I replaced had attempted imaging the 18, Optiplex 745s we have. The build he was using was "bad", so I am going through and redoing the images. I assume that the problem I am having with this one will probably happen with all 18.

Any advise and info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brandon

• 1. Re: Attempting Image Capture: Receiving a "1 off" error. Please Advise.
          Expert

Either there are two entries in the database for the MAC address and one has all zeros or your inventory service is not running on the core... The error indicates there is no miniscan in the database so it thinks the machine is off...

• 2. Re: Attempting Image Capture: Receiving a "1 off" error. Please Advise.
            Rookie

If the machine is on and this is a new image have you tried redeploying the PxE representative (using the script) to your PxE representative server?

I had a similar problem and this resolved it for me.

• 3. Re: Attempting Image Capture: Receiving a "1 off" error. Please Advise.
              Leon SupportEmployee

This can be caused for the following reasons:

1. The inventory scan had not yet processed the ip address from the mininscan. This could be because the inventory service is stopped or hung.

2. Duplicate devices (two machines with the same MAC Address) in the database.

3. Core cannot hit the Agent on UDP port 9595. (Firewall, or other filtering device is blocking this port.)

4. Under Configure | Services | Custom Jobs, the Discovery setting may be set to TCP only. WinPE only responds to UDP.

5. DNS can be in a state where the client can resolve the Core Server but the Core Server cannot resolve the agent workstation.

6. NIC driver may not be entirely functioning properly.

7. Name resolution problems may prevent the core from targeting the machine by DNS name.

So you may try the following are possible solutions:

1. Start or restart the inventory service.

2. That device may show up twice in the database. Delete all devices with that MAC Address.

3. Open UDP port 9595 between the Core Server and the Agent workstation.

4. Go to Configure | Services | Custom Jobs and set the Discovery to try both UDP and TCP.

5. Go to Configure | Services | Custom Jobs and check the box to Disable DNS/WINS Lookup.

6. Make sure the Core Server can ping the Agent workstation by name and IP.

7. Update the NIC driver.

8. Make sure Core Server and PXE reps are updated to latest version (apply all the minirollups).

• 4. Re: Attempting Image Capture: Receiving a "1 off" error. Please Advise.
                cknott SupportEmployee

Brandon,

When you get the message that the machine is off its usually because another entry in the database has the IP address that the machine is getting when it PXE boots.

Open a CMD window in WinPE, and do an IPconfig.  Once you know what address you are getting, search the inventory in All Devices for that IP address.  If another machine has it, either delete that machine from Inventory or run a scan on that machine to get it updated.  Then try the job again.

Hope that helps.

Chad

• 5. Re: Attempting Image Capture: Receiving a "1 off" error. Please Advise.
                  Rookie

I tried some of the things on the list you gave me.

-- Unsure which service i need t o stop and restart for the inventory scan.

-- no duplicate devices.

-- turned off fire walls.. although this worked just two days ago with a laptop, using the same ethernet connections in my office.

-- Its set to TCP, i do not have an option to enable UDP.

-- DNS/WINS Lookup is disabled.

-- NiC driver is newest

-- Our DNS server is horrible, wouldnt surprise me if this is the cause.

I should point out that when I boot the computer into PXE that the miniscan shows an ip address of 0.0.0.0 when viewing the computer in LANDesk. However once I wait a bit and do an ipconfig /all on the machine by using the "new console" i have an IP address of  10.28.20.92.

I read somewhere that this used to be an issue where the miniscan scanned before the computer was issued an IP address. Do you know the fix for this? Can I put a pause timer before the scan... that is if you think this is causing the problem.

Thanks!

B

• 6. Re: Attempting Image Capture: Receiving a "1 off" error. Please Advise.
                    Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

I should point out that when I boot the computer into PXE that the miniscan shows an ip address of 0.0.0.0 when viewing the computer in LANDesk. However once I wait a bit and do an ipconfig /all on the machine by using the "new console" i have an IP address of 10.28.20.92.

What version are you one?  8.7 SP5 or 8.8.  Cause you shouldn't be seeing the 0.0.0.0 issue anymore in those versions.

Have you updated your PXE rep if you are at one of those versions?

What version is you ldvpe1.img file?  Specifically what version of these files are you using inside the ldvpe1.img file?

PxeMenu.exe

PxeMenuStart.cmd

RunBatch.exe

WinPE.bmp

See this article step 7.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1113