1 of 1 people found this helpful
You have a couple directions to take this. Either increase the SDMcache's expiration time. The maximum will only be 1 year. OR.. rework your package, so that you can put a copy of the installer somewhere on the disk so that it doesn't get erased. This is a common issue for some MSI's. Adobe reader suffers from the same issue when attempting to install patch msp's. If the original MSI is not available, it will fail to install patches.
Additional note on the SDMcache deal. You could make a custom definition that would detect on the missing MSI from the SDMcache and then restore it. This patch would then replace the file when the cache clears it, but you'd probably still want the SDMcache epiration time to be increased to its maximum so that the custom def that replaces the file doesn't have to run too often.
Hope that made sense.
thanks for your reply but this looks to me like a dirty fix :-)
i have all the lync msi files on the network so i'm looking for a way to use those (core is an option but i'd rather use the preferred servers we have installed in every subnet)
It will be interesting, if you can make that work over network. Hope you keep the forum updated on your results.
My personal experience with this particular issue is limited, since we didn't build a package based on the MSI for Lync 2010. We used the whole setup file and just passed a silent switch to it. The setup file seems to park the MSI (thats obviously embedded within the setup) somewhere on the local drive. From there, each time a new user logs on, the lync msi works fine, again since its local. Now, we did have a sort of reverse problem, as we used the MSI guid code to uninstall it later. Our customer decided 2010 wasn't going to cut it for them, so we created a patch to remove it, based on the GUID. What we encountered with this deal was a whole lot of 1603 errors on devices, which was mostly rectified with reboots and retries on the uninstall. I'd agree with you on the term "dirty". Though i wouldn't put the blame on the "fix", but rather the crappy installation/uninstallation process within the lync install routines. There's something off about it. On the uninstall routine, its probably something to do with the fact that Lync is always starting up and running. A proper uninstall would probably look pretty dirty as well, as it likely needs kill commands to take out active processes. Maybe if we had used the setup to uninstall as well, the results would have been better. As it stands now almost all of the devices have finally removed the software, but its taken way too long to get there.
I think the main thing to take away from this experience is that not all MSI's are worthy. Some work well, while others cause headaches. A 100% one size fits all approach to managing them is probably unrealistic, so you may have to make concessions and keep a local copy for particular MSI's. I've seen similar behavior for Active Sync 4.5 and Adobe, out of a few hundred software titles, so you'll probably hit a high level of common arrangement based on our stats.