4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 5:51 AM by gman1981

Error when opening article in WebDesk

Apprentice

I have come across a problem when trying to view an approved article in WebDesk. I get the following error:

There has been an unexpected error. Click Continue to return to the previous page.

Attempt to write to attribute Effectiveness of a read-only Knowledge.Article lifecycle object. When a lifecycle object reaches a read-only status they cannot be modified except through a lifecycle action.

We haven't even got the effectiveness attribute on the window! Once an article is approved it is set to read only in the process so no changes can be made unless it goes back through the approval process.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Error when opening article in WebDesk
          Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

In your effectiveness settings it gives a point each time the article is opened and tries to write that to an "Effectiveness" attribute.  I would assume that because it's in that read-only status, it can't append that effectiveness rating.  You might be able to change that setting to 0 instead of 1 in Knowledge Administration so it doesn't try to write a point.  If that doesn't work, you might have to change that status back to a Read/Write status until 7.6 comes out at which point you can dynamically make certain fields on the form read only based on other attributes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error when opening article in WebDesk
            Apprentice

Unfortunatley setting all of the effectiveness values to 0 didn't have the desired effect. It still throws up the error. As an aside, in the Console you conly get this error if you have the effectiveness attribute on the window wheras in Web Access it errors regardless.

This seems to me a fairly fundemental issue. I would have thought a typical deployment of knowledge management would use a read-only status for the aprroved status of an article, and therfore come across this problem?

Changing the approved status to read/write isn't really an acceptable solution imho as how would we stop anyone changing articles without it going through the required approval process?

• 3. Re: Error when opening article in WebDesk
              Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

I agree.  This could be a known issue.  Might be worth buzzing support to see if anyone else has reported this.

• 4. Re: Error when opening article in WebDesk
                Apprentice

I've logged with Support. Thanks Jamie for help thus far.