3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 7:27 AM by Mpatel1

Escalation points

Apprentice

Hi All

I have been given a challenge for the request process to have a custom escalation point.

The end game  is to have an action called create escalation point (which there is) with several pre defined actions.

so if it were a maintenance request, I would select a response level of "custom" and a preceeding action to specify the breach date.

Has anyone done this? if so .. how?

taa.....

• 1. Re: Escalation points
          Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

Could you have an action in your workflow that would pop up a window to include the breach date then pass that date where needed?  If you are looking for something to pop up when selecting that custom level this may be the way to do it.

Just a thought.  I've never had to do anything like this but I have a feeling you are going to want to control it within workflow.

• 2. Re: Escalation points
            aparker Employee

There is no specific facility in the Service Level piece to define a specific date/time for an escalation point. These are always created based on the response level and associated escalation actions. In addition, the action is not visible in a process even if you add this as a manual or optional action. It is possible to design the system to achieve this by doing the following steps. There are some assumptions that you need to make . I will detail those at the end.

1. Create an attribute on the Request object that specifies the breach date.

2. Create an Response Level that will always be selected when this type of request is logged. (You'll need to determine what criteria that is and add that to the Service Level Matrix.)

3. Add an Escalation action that is 8 hours long.

4. Create a calendar that is an 8 hour day and link that to the response level. You may well already have a standard day duration. In which case, use that calendar and modifty the escalation in 3. to be that length.

5. Modify the process so that if this response level is selected, the service level clock is stopped.

6. Create a query that selects requests that have their breach date equal to today.

7. Create a scheduled bulk action that runs that query at 03:00 and does a start clock action on it.

So the assumptions are...

1. You will not need to notify anyone earlier than the same day. If you want to send out notifications earlier then modify the escalation action definition and the query so that it will always re-start the clock the same number of days before the breach date as the escalation runs.

2. The final breach time is always the end of the day. Again, this can be changed with some thought about the escalation action duration. You could change the run time of the bulk scheduled action, but I would suggest not.

3. Requests are not logged within the time frame of the escalation. This model will fail. If this is likely then you need to look at some additional controls to manage the situation.

So what happens...

Well, you log a request, the response level is selected based on the some criteria and as a result the process stops the clock before it has really started. This has created a set of escalation points that will execute as soon as the clock is restarted. The process clock remains stopped and then on the day of the breach the scheduled bulk action runs (when the calendar is not active) and the clock is restarted. As soon as the calendar kicks in, we are counting down. This ensure that we always have an escalation point that breaches at the end of the day on the day specified in the request.

This is a rough outline of the logic required. It is a bit of work to do, but it does deliver the concept of the defined end date and to some extent time.

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Escalation points
              Apprentice

A good workaround, time for a little testing me thinks.  Mr Parker you are the man.