6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 5:22 AM by Nay

how to create a filtered list within Incident to remove a old category?

Apprentice

I have a requirement to remove an old Category/Service that is no longer required, However I don't want to delete it.

I have read that I can create a filtered dropdown to pretty much hide the item instead of deleting it as deleting can cause issues with old/previous tickets that used this category.

However it's not at all straight forward and I was looking to around the internet on how to create it and wasn't sure where I should be creating this.

So I went into Object Designer and first looked into creating it in Category but decided against it, then went to Assignment Business Objects, started to create it and it made no sense at all!

Steps taken

Selected Object Designer

Selected Assignment Business Object

Selected  Filter Selection Property

Created a New Filter Rule

Gave the new filter a useful name and made sure to select any client type created it for everyone.

In the Criteria added the Category option and used the following

And

Category
      Is Equal to

Selected the Buiness Category I wanted to filter

Then finished

Then when back to the Attribute Filter selector screen.
      Selected New Condition.....
      This is where I got stuck not sure how to progress it as it looks like I'm duplicating the process???

Any help would be very much appreciated.

• 1. Re: how to create a filtered list within Incident to remove a old category?
          elizabethcombrink Expert

It sounds like you are over thinking it :-)

Create a boolean on your category object - I called mine Is Retired.  (remember to make it mandatory so it displays correctly in webaccess)

Add it to the category window.

Then mark all the obsolete categories to be retired by ticking the Is Retired field.

You then create a filter to only show categories that are not retired, ie Is Retired = no/false/0

Create filter by opening object designer. Go to Incident object, find the category relationship. in the properties, find the filters one, click on the ... and follow that through,a nd create a new filter. Call the filter something like Valid Categories on Incident, show the category field in the results window,set sort order, set criteria to be Is Retired = false, and set the number of records to return 10 records.

save filter, save object, there is a "normal" error that pops up here sometimes. You may need an IIS reset. Test.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to create a filtered list within Incident to remove a old category?
            Apprentice

Hi Elizabeth you are right I was over complicating it however I have followed your instructions and I am at the stage now of creating the filter itself.

Thanks for your help so far

So by the screenshot you can see that I have created the attribute "Old Category" were yours would be Retired

I have made the change to the window and the catogry so it's say's Old Category = True

Now just a smidge more help please....

I have added another screenshot as I have selected the "Category" "Business Object" Now I am not sure which attrbute to set the properties against for it to work???

category snippet 2.PNG

Also In the window when creating it, I create the new rule no probs, however do I also need to set the same up in the "New Condition?

category snippet 3.PNG

• 3. Re: how to create a filtered list within Incident to remove a old category?
              elizabethcombrink Expert

Ok - on your screenshot of the category, I can see that you have the attribute Old Category, which I presume is the boolean.  Thats all you need in the object category.

I don't know why you have category class? or why you are trying to create a filter on it.

My understanding is that on the incident window, you only want to show in the category dropdown those categories which are not old?

In which case you need to go to the Incident Object, find the category relationship, open the filters window, use the New Filter Rule to create the filter. You only need to populate the Filter Rule Conditions if you have multiple filters to apply under different conditions (But get your head around creating a basic one first)

• 4. Re: how to create a filtered list within Incident to remove a old category?
                Apprentice

Ok Elizabeth, I have Category selected and I created the attribute within that, is that not correct??

I assumed this is what you meant by Boolean!

However it seems to have messed my test box up as the category is no longer showing in Webdesk, it's still available in Console though. grrrr!

I'll be honest I'm lost as to why it's gone pete tong now

I am also assuming that the reason I can't delete it is because I have it attached it to the Window

Sorry i'm probably being a tool but it's a pain in the ass.

• 5. Re: how to create a filtered list within Incident to remove a old category?
                  elizabethcombrink Expert

Your boolean called Old Category on the Category object sounds correct. - as long as it is mandatory and you did backfill to be False.

What do you mean the category is no longer showing in WebDesk. Do you mean that this is on the incident window dropdown for Category?  If so, is this the filter doing its thing?

What are you trying to delete?  You can't delete an attribute on an object if that attribute is being used in a query or on a window.

Please post pics

-  of the properties of the Old Category attribute on Category object.

- of the filters page on the Category attribute on the Incident object

- query designer page of the filter you created, both of the fields you display, and also the criteria page.

- also pic please of what you mean when you say "its not showing in WebDesk", and where you see it is showing in Console

• 6. Re: how to create a filtered list within Incident to remove a old category?
                    Apprentice

Hi Elizabeth

I spoke to LANDesk Support as I was well and truly lost.

it transpired the reason they had vanished is that I had completed what you said but the filter was not completed fully.

So mine was filtering it with TRUE and it should've been FALSE
                    Plus I had set it up on the Category instead of the incident tab that it should've been doh.
                    It took us 40 mins to figure it out but it's good to go now.

I wanted to attach a work instruction for any one else that may find this post and require some guidance but it won't let me upload a doc!

So just placed it here instead! without pics

Creating a Category Filter

Why? To remove old categories from the Dropdown selection box when creating a new incident or resolution.

Stage 1 – Creating the filtered option

·         In the console select “Designer” then open Object Designer.

·         I wanted to create the filter option within Category so Select the Business Object “Incident Management” and then double click “Category”

·         You’ll then see the Attributes Window we will need to create a New Attribute so in the actions pane select “New Attribute”

·         Give the Attribute a name mine was called “Old Category” but you can use any name, set the Max length. Mine was set to 25 but it just means the characters available.

·         Copy the settings in the screen shot above as this I know works.

·         Save the “Object” top right hand corner.

Stage 2 – Adding the Object to the Window

·         In the Console still in “Designer” select “Window Manager”

·         In “Window Manager” Again Expand “Incident Management” double click on “Category” and select the “Category 4” Window underneath.

·         Now you’ll see the attributes that are available, we will need to add the newly created attribute to the window by dragging and dropping it.

·         As above I dragged the “Old Category” Attribute to Window and added it in the place where I wanted it to show. (It’s highlighted in red because it’s a mandatory field.

·         When you have it where you want it save the “Window Manager” top left.

Stage 3 – Modifying the field that you no longer want to show

·         We now need to make sure the category stands out from the rest.

·         Within the console select “Administration”

·         Then again at the top select “Administration”

·         Under “Categories” you need to expand “Incident Management” then expand “Category”

·         You should then see a list of selectable categories, drop down to the Category you want to hide (make sure to press the + sign next to it see all child categories.

·         Double click the Parent Category and all Children Categories to bring up the newly modified window.

·         As you can see your newly created Attribute is visible in my example “Old Category”

·         Now I set my detail to “True” This part is very important as it will be what we use to filter against.

·         Do the same settings on all child Attributes underneath the Parent. (Make sure to save after every change.

·         You can check one of the other Categories and it should say “False”

Stage 4 - Applying the filter

·         Within Console go back to “Designer” then “Object Designer”

·         Expand this time “Incident Management” and then double click on “Incident”

·         Within “Attributes” select “Category” it will change what’s displayed on the right.

·         In the “properties” window select “Filter Selectors” Where it says “Collection” select the tab to bring up a new window.

·         Within the new window select “New Filer Rule” I’ve already created a filter query called “Hide Old Categories” but you can create your own.

·         Give it a useful name and description and make it visible for everyone.

·         Now you will need to set only the “Criteria” for this filter.

·         So Select that option and then drag the “Attribute” that you want to Filter against in my example I use my created one “Old Category”

·         Here you set the settings as above, we do it this way because we don’t want to Show the Categories that have the field set to “True” we only want to see the ones that have “Old Category” set to False.

·         Once that’s set Click “Finish” to save the Filter settings.

·         Click ok to close the “Attribute Filter Selectors” window.

·         Then save the Attribute.

Stage 5 – Test it

Go to both Console and Web desk to make sure that the the option you selected is no longer visible.

Happy days all done.

Extra info

To View the filters or the one you created to modify it. Select
                    Designer – Query and Report Designer – Expand the “System Filter” Folder under  “Queries and Reports”
                    You should then be able to modify the settings on your filter.