2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 12:14 PM by Carl.Simpson

Trying to use placeholder {EMailAddress} to show email address of end user in notifications

Rookie

Hello,

I am currently tweaking the notifications that get sent out to my support desk team when an incident is opened by an end user via email.

I am looking to add the email address of the end user as part of the data that I want to show in these notifications.

To the best of my knowledge the placeholder {EMailAddress} should be used.

Am I wrong here?  Unfortunately the notifications do not pull the users email address and instead just show the text of the placeholder {EMailAddress}.

Just an additional FYI, the other placeholders fill in with data as expected, such as Incident number {Id} and users name {EndUser}.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Trying to use placeholder {EMailAddress} to show email address of end user in notifications
          aparker Employee

Hi,

If you are sending this using an Add Reminder action then to show the email address of the user the raised the Incident you should use... {RaiseUser/EMailAddress}.

Don't forget you can insert these placeholders into your email content by right clicking and selecting the Insert Placeholder option which gives you the object tree and will always ensure you are getting the correct syntax.

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trying to use placeholder {EMailAddress} to show email address of end user in notifications
            Expert

When I was doing my reminders I got a huge headache from it.  Using the Object designer helps because it tells you the exact name of the object.  Some attributes begin with a "_" and some don't.  Then depending on the type tool used in the toolbox (Action Instance, Automatic Action Instance, and Assignment) you may or may not have to include "Incident\" in front of "raiseuser\EmailAddress".  I got to the point that if I didn't get it right the first time I did something like the following:

1 {E-mailAddress}<br>

2 {RaiseUser\E-mailAddress}<br>

3 {Incident\RaiseUser\E-mailAddress}<br>

4 {_E-mailAddress}<br>

5 {RaiseUser\_E-mailAddress}<br>

6 {Incident\RaiseUser\_E-mailAddress}<br>

7 {_RaiseUser\_E-mailAddress}<br>

8 {Incident\_RaiseUser\_E-mailAddress}<br>

Basically I used every possible combination.  Copy and paste is your friend with this.  I then ran a process to fire off the e-mail and see which one works.  This avoided a lot of frustration.  Once you get a feel for forat and the tool your using, this becomes useless.  But when in doubt, it beats trying 8 different combinations.  We use HTML e-mail so I add a <br> at the end so each is on a separate line.  I know, I get zero points for elegance but it saved me a busted computer screen and a trip to the ER.

2 of 2 people found this helpful