2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 12:08 AM by Alex.Richardson

Help deploying a simple file to a specific path on target system

Rookie

Hi All,

I am new to management suite and still getting to know the capabilites. Was hoping someone might be able to offer a little help or maybe point me in the right direction for finding assistance.

I have 75 users who need to have a couple of basic files deployed to them before the end of the week.

The first file is a .exe which we would like to push to program files, the next is a shortcut to that exe which we would like to drop on the users desktop.

I totally understand that LD has the capability of pushing "software pacages" to the end user, but is possible for me to simply copy these files to specific paths?

I've been flipping through the Training workbook looking for answers but have thusfar came up short. Any help would be much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Help deploying a simple file to a specific path on target system
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Your easiest choice would be a batch file that contains the copy commands which you can add to LANDesk as Distribution Package, than schedule and deploy. Or, for a more straightforward solution but bit more scripting-wise, take a look at the Manage Scripts options, which also can help.

Also note that LANDesk by default runs under the local system account on the target device, so pushing something to public desktop is easier than a specific user desktop.

Frank

Axle-IT

• 2. Re: Help deploying a simple file to a specific path on target system
            Alex.Richardson SSMMVPGroup

The other option to Frank's suggestions is to use a provisioning template to complete the steps you need. If you put the actions under system configurationn section they will run on the PC's while in windows.

This was you can use the copy (UNC) or download file (HTTP) actions to get the files out there. The only negative is users will see the provisioning windows on their desktops if they are logged in.