5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 2:37 PM by Brian.Dailey

Difference betwen "Add Assignment" and "Assign to me"

Mariusz.Maniak Expert

Hi,

Troubleshooting mail notification I found difference betwen two methods od assignment.

As showed on image - Assign to me (incident 27) is filling "Current assigned analyst" "current assigned group", "current assignment user" and "current assignment group"

"Add assignment" (incident 25) is filling "Current assigned analyst" only,

For comparision incident 26 is just created by Self service user.

Booth - "Assign to me" and "Add assignment " from process point of view looks similar, and uses same window, but why is that difference? As a result of this some notifications works - if Analyst clicked Assign to me, and some not...

• 1. Re: Difference betwen "Add Assignment" and "Assign to me"
          Expert

If you check in your process the action Add Assignment requires the Analyst to input information into the assignment window, whereas the Assign to Me is a windowless action followed in the process by an Assignment that has runtime values of $CurrentGroup$ and $CurrentUser$ and so forth entered in already, so all your fields are updated by the process.  Add Assignment requires user input - you could always make the fields mandatory that way the Analysts will be forced to fill them out.

Helen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Difference betwen "Add Assignment" and "Assign to me"
            Mariusz.Maniak Expert

Helen,

You're right, but... Why automatic action is filling all four attributes (even if only two exists on window), manual action only two? Or, from other hand - how to force "Add Assignment" manual action to act as automatic one, and fill all needed fields? Not by copy rules, because "current assignment user" and "current assignment group" are attributes from incident...

OK, I know...

Difference was caused by me:

By default "add assignment" is optional action of "in progress" incident state. All four attributes are filled in: "Current assigned analyst" "current assigned group", "current assignment user" and "current assignment group", but there is no option to notify assignee if incident was assigned.

So, I removed "add assignment" from optional actions, and create separate one. Result - assignee is informed if incident was assigned to him/her, fully customized body/title of message.

Lets go to notes:

I would like to inform assignee if user added a note, and inform user if assigne added a note. So lets use reminders prepared by default. But... My separate  action "add assignment" is filling ony "Current assigned analyst" "current assigned group", but remainders are using "current assignment user" and "current assignment group". Four characters difference... Trying to redesign conditions to check who added a note, but no effect yet.

So, it looks like I can get confirmation about incident was assigned, or note was added. To have booth - I have to learn much more...

• 3. Re: Difference betwen "Add Assignment" and "Assign to me"
              Expert

Hi

Glad you got the assignments sorted out.

On note, how about having decisions rather than a precondition so your first is Note added by End User, if Yes then you go to a reminder or if No then you go to the next decision Note added by Analyst, again if Yes go to a reminder if No loop back into the process.  I've attached a screenshot of something similar we do, sorry it's a bit messy and you might not be able to see the arrows very clearly!

Helen

LOB Process.png

• 4. Re: Difference betwen "Add Assignment" and "Assign to me"
                Mariusz.Maniak Expert

Helen,

Thanks for Your example, two step decisions are on my roadmap

Now my note decision is much simplier:

process.jpg

Just to have nice email to User:

Dear {User}!!

Your beloved analyst, {current assignment user} just added a note {Notes/Text}.

• 5. Re: Difference betwen "Add Assignment" and "Assign to me"
                  ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Mariusz,

Here's another example for you...

AddNoteNotification.png

However, there are a few other things I would suggest:

1. I would rather use "Latest Assignment" and its User or Group attributes instead of any of those "Current..." attributes.  Reasoning:  once an assignment has been made, Latest Assignment will ALWAYS contain a value... there are some inner-workings that sometimes will set those "Current..." values back to null, which make it less than dependable for reference (e.g., for a ticket that's been closed, what if a client emails you back?  who do you notify? ... Right)
                  2. For the first condition, instead of "Note Notify Assignee" (a simple checkbox), use a calculation and have it check if the CreationUser for the latest Note is equal to the LatestAssignment/User for the Incident, returning true if it *does not*.  The 'YES' on your decision then routes to the first Reminder that goes to "LatestAssignment/User" and-or "LatestAssignment/Group", 'NO' routes to the next decision.

(calc)
                    import System
                    static def GetAttributeValue(Incident):
                        Value = true
                        if Incident.Notes.Latest().CreationUser == Incident.LatestAssignment.User:
                            Value = false
                        return Value

cond1.png
                  3. Replace condition "Note Notify Client" with something similar to (2), except substituting "RaiseUser" for "LatestAssignment/User".  Still return true if they don't match, and 'YES' then routes to the client reminder.

You can keep the check to see if the assignment user is populated, or not.  If you do, change it to use LatestAssignment as well.  You could also add some logic to notify the group if the user is null, etc.

Using this setup though, if another analyst (not the assigned) or another end user (not the client) adds a note, then BOTH the assigned analyst and the client will receive notification.

-Brian