5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 9:19 AM by JPD005

Linking Users to CI's for the first time in Web Desk

Rookie

Has anyone found a way to link new CI's to users outside of the admin console. We are trying to move away from using console but also trying to implement configuration management. You can only link newly created CI's with users via the admin console which is not available in Web desk. We have many analysts located all over the world who need to be able to update CI info and link users. We thouht we had a solution where by I created a query based on User config item and then had a hyper link that takes you to the CI itself. This is great for CI's that already have users attached but the query and we can use it for reassigning/swapping CI's between users but it does not show CI's witout users linked to them. There is no point moving to Web Desk If we have to keep console open for all analysts just for this one function.

Thanks

John

• 1. Re: Linking Users to CI's for the first time in Web Desk
          ITSMMVPGroup

You can create CIs and links from these to users within a process.  So you could have a action in your process for people to do this in WebDesk, then go back and look at the CI links and they should be there.

Be aware though we have tried to move customers with significant investoments in CMDB and Change to WebDesk and for many there are too many other missing bits of functionality.  I think LD will put these in especially as their roadmap shows WebDesk as the preferred development platform, but just take a careful approach and check what WebDesk actually does for anything related to config.  You will probably find a few gaps of your own and that these will not be seen as bugs by LANDesk.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Linking Users to CI's for the first time in Web Desk
            Expert

I am pretty sure they said that 7.6 was going to improve this a lot.  I have not tried yet but all my Change users are still on Console, it's better.

• 3. Re: Linking Users to CI's for the first time in Web Desk
              Rookie

Thanks guy's this is really helpful. I have some thinking to do! :-)

• 4. Re: Linking Users to CI's for the first time in Web Desk
                aparker Employee

The best way to do this in Web Desk is to created a small process that utilises the Create and Update Related capabilities that were introduced into the process engine when we launched Service Catalogue. I use a process built in the Call module to create a new user in LDSD and relate CIs and other information to them. You could have a series of these small processes accessible as actions from any other process in the system and either use value type or direct entry to update the User CI table which is the one that holds this information.

• 5. Re: Linking Users to CI's for the first time in Web Desk
                  Rookie

Thanks Andy, much appreciated. How do I add a process as an action? What I have done is created a collection of Iser configuration Item on Request and then created a Action called Link CI which I have added to a Request process. Whe I select the action, the User Configuration Item window is presented where I can assign the user to a CI. The user CI table is then updated. This seems to work but I can't help thinking this is not the best way to do it

I see the Create/Update Related Options when I create my actions but don't know how this affects what I am trying to achieve. As mentioned above I can't seem to find anything that explains how to display a process as an action.