8 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2008 11:30 AM by Mike

Always listed for install + required?

Rookie

I'm trying to move more in the direction of Landesk for deploying our software, but a stumbling block that we seem to be on is that if the software is always listed for install, it doesn't install with the policy.

The reason this is an issue for us is we are trying to move in the direction of machines that don't have to be touched to be configured, plus allowing techs to uninstall and reinstall apps when there is a problem.

With a required install policy it will go ahead and install itself, which is what we want for that part exactly, but then if you have to uninstall the package through addremove programs, the only way I've found to get it back is to delete the registry key or wait a day. Waiting a day isn't an acceptable solution, and the reg key is an extra step plus waiting...

Then if i do a recommended policy, I can install it whenever I want from the  deployment portal, but they don't install automatically.

Is there a way to get both of these working outside of making 2 seperate deployment packages?

• 1. Re: Always listed for install + required?
          Employee

Upgrade to 8.8.  Your concerns will be addressed in that version.  There reg key is no longer used to determine if a product has been installed.  You can continually remove and re-install programs as desired without having to do anything.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Always listed for install + required?
            Rookie

We did just upgrade to 8.8 2 days ago, but when I uninstall an application through add remove programs, it doesn't come back like I would like it to the next time I sync the policy.

If i delete the registry key then it seems to. The one i'm referring to is \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\LDWM\AppHealing\Agent\AMClient\APM\PolicyCache

• 3. Re: Always listed for install + required?
              Jason SupportEmployee

If delete this key works \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\LDWM\AppHealing\Agent\AMClient\APM\PolicyCache this is an pre 8.8(8.7 and lower) client not an 8.8 client. In 8.8 this key is not longer used.Upgrade your client(s) to 8.8 and try installing the application through Landesk and removing it agian.

• 4. Re: Always listed for install + required?
                Apprentice

edit: what Jason said, check your agent version. While your core may be 8.8, your clients could still run an older agent

I've been testing & redefining packages all week to fit into the new policy system, it works like a charm

(even though you have to be a bit patient at times)

• 5. Re: Always listed for install + required?
                  Rookie

ok, so that key is no longer good, then is there another way besides 2 scheduled tasks to be able to cover this situation?

The package is installed onto a PC, it has issues, so a tech uninstalls the application through add remove programs and wants to install it again to fix the problem within their expected timeframe?

From the sounds of it it wouldn't come back until the next day automatically. I would like a way to give the tech an easy option to rerun the install without going into the management console

• 6. Re: Always listed for install + required?
                    Apprentice

I made a small batch file for that purpose. (got the commands somewhere in this forum)

it will trigger ALL the policies though... i guess we're all still waiting on official best practices & guidelines

• Start batch file ***

@echo off

echo Deleting policy database...

del "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\landesk\managementsuite\database" /q

echo Rebuilding policy database...

"c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\clientdbutil.exe" /validate

echo Synchronizing policy database with server...

"c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\policy.sync.exe"

echo Sleeping 2 minutes...

@ping 127.0.0.1 -n 120 > nul

echo Invoking policies...

"c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\policy.client.invoker.exe"

echo Policies should have started downloading.

echo Check c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\policy.sync.log and policy.client.invoker.log

echo in case of problems or run software deployment portal from the start menu.

pause

• 7. Re: Always listed for install + required?
                      zman Master

I could be wrong but I heard that a combo type was in the works (required and optional all rolled into one). So one task that covers both, however I don't see that in 8.8. I believe for now you should create two tasks. One is either a required or Policy Supported Push and the other is an Optional.  In this scenario your techs will have the ability to reinstall at will with the optional policy.  for now this will be your best bet, and currently we do the same thing in our shop and it works well.

In regards to LDClientDB.db3. I've been playing around with this little guy for about 1/2 hour trying to figure out how to troubleshoot reinstalling policies (kind of like the old days referenced above - whacking the reg key).  Granted I have not had a lot of time to dig into this, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

• When I do a successful Policy Supported Push. I don't seem to see any entries in the local db - LDClientDB.db3????

• Rather than delete the entire DB, I've found that if you use any SQLite tool (SQLite Database Browser, etc...)

• Browse to the local db - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Database\LDClientDB.db3

• Open table - PortalTaskInformation

• Find your task - search name field or eye ball it.

• Note file name of your task - e.g., SDClientTask.LDMS-CORE.2.xml

• Delete that record

• Open table ClientOperations

• Note Filename field

• Find record with the same name as file name listed above - SDClientTask.LDMS-CORE.2.xml

• Delete that record

• Save DB

Run Distribution Portal. You will note that initially that task will not be displayed, and after checking for additional software it will show.  There is a lot of ancillary data in the PolicyTaskInformation table relating to task. I'm not sure if this needs to be deleted or not, but seems to work as way to clear the local policy and have it refresh without deleting the entire DB.  However, test this out first since I've only played with this for about 1/2 hour.  Once LANDesk releases the "official" way we will probably update our current Autoitscript GUI script that does this for <= 8.7  

• 8. Re: Always listed for install + required?
                        Rookie

I'm messing with autoit now and the database, and it seems to be working as expected

for the policy required ones, if you whack it in ClientOperations, LastPolicyResponse and PackageState then it will reinstall.

I took the XML file name from client operations, opened the XML file to read in the package name and GUID then made a list to show the user so you can take out just one at a time if you want, then it just whacks the matching lines in those 3 tables.

Can't test much now because something seems to have happened with the sync service... but it's not my script since the problem started 3 hours before i wrote my script according to policy.sync.log