12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 8:58 AM by Mach6

Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.

Apprentice

I currently have Profile Migration and Restore working within my provisioning template.  However, the %Personal Directory% variable doesn't capture Pictures, Music, Downloads and Videos folders.  Is there a variable to use to capture this.  I have tried including the following in files and folders:  %username%\pictures, %%username%%, user\%username%\pictures, %userprofile%\pictures, %%userprofile%%\pictures, user\%userprofile%\pictures.  I have also tried to include the following files:  %Personal Directory%\*.jpg, *gif, *.mp3 /s  and still nothing copies over.  Any ideas on what I am doing wrong.  The work around will be just to put these folders into My Documents before running the capture, but I'd rather keep this simple.  We are using 9.5 and this is a windows 7 to windows 7 migration. 

• 1. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
          Apprentice

So nobody has copied pictures or music with a profile migration I guess?

• 2. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
            SupportEmployee

There is a guide available for the system migraiton tool here http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-50889. The guide contains a number of variables specific to UMA that can be used. UMA also supports environmental variables. The problem you are running into is that in windows 7, the pictures directory is a library, not a folder. The library may point to multiple picture locations.

The variables you used %userprofile%\pictures does not point to a valid folder. The correct patch is %userprofile%\my pictures. Also, when you are using the %username% variable, are you putting a driver path on the beginning? If not, there is no way to find the correct path. Those variables and paths can be tested from start > run in windows to confirm that they open the directory you are trying to capture. %Personal Directory% is a UMA specific target and cannot be run the same way, but it points to the My Documents folder. In windows 7 the pictures directory exists above that folder level. Also make sure that you are not using %%, normally in provisioning local variables need %%, but the profile capture configuration is not using the provisioning variables so it does not need %%, only %.

Try using c:\users\%username%\my pictures or %userprofile%\ *.jpg (etc).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
              Apprentice

Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.

• 4. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
                Apprentice

Unfortunately, neither of those options worked.  I think what I am goint to do is execute a script at the beginning of the template that copies the pictures folder to my documents and the run the capture. The only downside is we'll have to manually go back after the restore and put the contents of the folders where they belong.  I've read the lenovo guide and tried some things in there as well, but nothing seems to be working. Thanks for your help and if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

• 5. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
                  Apprentice

The funny thing is that the script does utilize %userprofile%\pictures which is the same as  c:\users\%username%\pictures and it works fine. I don't know why the UMA can't copy the pictures library folder the same way. I understand the library concept but the only difference between the pictures folder (c:\users\username\pictures) and the library picture folder is that the library pulls from public pictures and any manually added folders.  There is no need for us to copy the pictures library only the users pictures folder. 

• 6. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
                    Apprentice

Okay figured this out.  %userprofile%\ captures everything that %personal directory%\ doesn't.  There is no need to specify %userprofile%\pictures because it just doesn't work.  By simply putting %userprofile%\ in the files and folders section it captures: pictures, music, downloads and videos. 

• 7. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
                      Rookie

Hello,

I've had the same problem and have tried your solution but mine still isn't working.  I've included a screen capture.  Any help appreciated.ProfilePic1.JPG

• 8. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
                        Apprentice

Try a backslash (\) after %userprofile%

in files and folders all I include is %userprofile%\ /s

in My Documents I included the use following:

%userpofile%\ /s (this is redundant but when the xml file finally worked I didn't want to change anything. It may be that putting this here was the answer).

%userprofile%\*.jpg, *.mp3 /s

%personal directory%\ /s

exluded the following files:  %personal directory%\*.vol /s

I believe that the parts in my documents referring to the %personal directory% are in there by default and I just added the the %user profile% parts to cover both sections.

Unfortunately there is very little documentation describing the correct use of the files and folders and my documents sections of the xml file. 

I have found that when it comes to larger profile captures, say 3. 5 gigs, the deploy profile command in my provisioning template will fail.  I have found no answers to why or how to fix this issue.  Hopefully you don't come across that.

• 9. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
                          Rookie

Thanks, that seems to have worked.  It's weird certain files still don't get picked up.  I even tried adding a specific command.  An exclusion item for .ost files get's ignored too.  This tool is weird.  I don't know why Landesk doesn't use the microsoft tool...

• 10. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
                            Apprentice

Agreed. It seems to be a little difficult to customize precisely and it's glitchy.

• 11. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
                              Rookie

I need help capturing and restoring profiles in Landesk 9.5 sp2.

We are in the process of deploying over 200 new laptops in my environment and I am having problems when restoring captured profiles.

We are capturing the profile and settings of users existing laptops (source) and we are trying to restore to the new machines O(target).

My captured action uses the %ldhostname% variable which queries the inventory (computer" devices) and resolves this to the machine name .sma and smaC.

This is failing because when the restore profile is trying to copy the captured file from the source it uses the %ldhostname% variable and resolves this to the target machine meaning the source and destination machine don't have any relationships in terms of hostname thereby pointing to a source file that does not exist.

My question is after capturing multiple devices, how can I get the profile capture to migrate profiles to new machines.

Is there a way to use a variable that can pull a custom data between the 2 machines; source and target. Or what is the best solution.

• 12. Re: Question on Profile Migration within provisioning templates.
                                Employee

oramon,

This is the third thread that is over a year old with the exact same text in it.  Please do not spam old messages with the same request.  If you need help you can create a new discussion and ask or you can find a reasonably recent discussion and pipe in there.  Re-opening multiple discussions that have ended over a year ago doesn't do anyone any good.

Thanks!