4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 2:33 AM by MichaelScott

Time-out for OSD / Managed script?

Rookie

Hi there,

we use OSD to image workstations with Windows 7.

In a specific OSD, we run a batch file that installs a lot of software. This batch file may take a couple of hours.

Our OSD fails at this point. In the logging we see the following error:

"win7test10","OK",0,0:03:00,30-5-2013 16:14:24,30-5-2013 16:17:24,"SLEEP"

"win7test10","ERR_Fail",-2147483390,2:00:13,30-5-2013 16:17:25,30-5-2013 18:17:38,\\myservername\mybatchfiles\installallsoftware.bat

; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

I don't think it's a coincidence that this ERR_FAIL occurs at 2:00:13 (which is exactly 2 hours).

Is is true that there is a timeout of 2 hours in OSD/Managed script for batchfiles / commands?

And can I adjust this value?

• 1. Re: Time-out for OSD / Managed script?
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

The 2147483390 error code is not a timeout-code, it is a file not found code. Is the batchfile still running at the device? Doublecheck in the EventLog of the device what the last installed software was and what should install next.

As long as the device is reachable, the script won't time-out, unless you specifically tell it, which I'm sure you didn't 

Frank

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Time-out for OSD / Managed script?
            Rookie

Hi Frank,

It turned out that splitting up the batchfile "installallsoftware.bat" (mentioned by my collegue Michael Scott) into 3 seperate batch files resolved our issue! That indicates a timeout of 2 hours for osd commands can still be the case.

Regards,

Gekke Henkie

• 3. Re: Time-out for OSD / Managed script?
              Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Hi!

Well, it can of course be that it is configured that way, but the default value is 43200 seconds (= 12 hours) for Remote Execute (REMEXEC) commands, as long as the agent is capable of sending a heartbeat. As soon as the agent doesnt send a heartbeat anymore, the REMEXEC will timeout by default after 300 seconds.

These settings are configured by opening a Console on the Core server, and go to Configure - Services - Custom Jobs Settings.

Frank

• 4. Re: Time-out for OSD / Managed script?
                Rookie

Frank, Thanks!

I had this setting in my mind, but couldn't find it. Didn't realize the setting was only available on the core server

Our Enable Remote Execute Timeout setting was 7200 seconds indeed. We now changed it to 21200. 6 hours should be enough