12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 9:08 AM by Maag

Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS

Rookie

Morning,

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with trying to remote onto devices through GPRS.  We are finding it difficult to connect to devices on a regular basis when the units are on GPRS and as a result of this, we are not able to support the end users properly.

Is there a way to reduce things such as the bit depth and / or other settings that might make it easier for us to connect to the devices please.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ashworth

• 1. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
          SupportEmployee

Have you tried using pre-connect or the following configurations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wavelink\Avalanche\Config

PersistentConnection=DWORD:1

You can also set the following device property in the mobile device profile:

DevicePersists=1

If this does not help you please let me know the enabler version and device type & OS?

Thanks,

Nick

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
            Rookie

Afternoon,

The device type is the Motorola MC65 using WE6.5

The AvaCfg version is 5.0-18

The enabler version is 5.0-27 (0000)

The devices are already set to PersistentConnection=DWORD:1

Kind regards,

Ashworth

• 3. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
              SupportEmployee

One more question: What version of RC?

• 4. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
                Rookie

Evening,

The version we are using is 4.1

Kind regards,

Ashworth

• 5. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
                  SupportEmployee

If you believe the remote control issues are because of poor connectivity you could turn the image quality and frame rate down.

How much bandwidth does RC use?

This is configurable and will be based on how much the screen changes as it is being remote controlled.  However, assuming 50% of the screen changes every 5 seconds, this occupies 3.3Kbytes to 6.7Kbytes a second depending on the quality of the image and the frame update rate.

Thanks,

Nick

• 6. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
                    Rookie

Morning,

Many thanks for the reply.  Could you advise me on how to turn down the image quality and the frame rate please?

Kind regards,

Ashworth

• 7. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
                      Rookie

On a related note, I have managed to figure out how to change these settings but I had to connect onto a device to do this so didn't really resolve anything.

What we are experiencing is constant trouble trying to remote control onto devices regardless of the signal levels from the sim provider.  We have a test device here which is in a excellent signal location but we are still struggling to connect to the device.  On a rare occassion, the unit does connect but most of the time we are having to do one of the following 2 things to connect to the device:

1. Go into Avalanche on the device, disconnect then reconnect and we can then remote onto the device.

2. Warm boot the unit so effectively doing the same as point 1, then we can reconnect to the device.

Based on point 1, there is obviously something going on with the remote control software as the unit is syncing every 15 minutes with the Avalanche server and we can see the 15 minute syncs all the time.  When an update needs to be sent to the devices, the updates go through usually without issue so something else is stopping the remote control from working.

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what we can do to try and resolve this issue please.

Many thanks,

Ashworth

• 8. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
                        Rookie

Afternoon,

I may have inadvertently fix this issue myself but we are currently in the testing phase at the moment with our own test device.  I will update you once this has been completed.

Kind regards,

Ashworth

• 9. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
                          SupportEmployee

Thank you for the update. Please let us know what you did to fix it if your testing goes well.

Thanks,

Nick

• 10. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
                            Rookie

Morning,

The test we did yesterday was to remove the current Remote control software off one device (our test device) which was using 4.1.0.004 and updating it to 4.1.3.000 hoping that this would give us a chance to get a better connection.  Unfortunately, we are not seeing any benefit at the moment and getting the same problems as before.

Any additional help with this would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ashworth

• 11. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
                              Rookie

Afternoon,

We have been performing various checks on our test device which is connected to the same server as all the live ones that are currently in use and we are still having issues getting connected to the device.  As mentioned in a previous post, if I restart the device or go into avalanche on the device and disconnect then reconnect, I am able to connect onto the device straight away.  Other than this, it is always hit and miss.

We have checked all the running processed on the devices in case any of these might be causing issues with the devices but we are not able to see anything what would cause the remote control software to not work correctly.

As mentioned before, Avalanche appears to be working without issue as the units are checking in every 15 minutes as expected and our software is working without any issues as well.  We have several other customers who have Wavelink on their devices and we have not encountered the same issue with them like we have with this one.

Kind regards,

Ashworth

• 12. Re: Difficulties connecting to devices over GPRS
                                SupportEmployee

Are you using the java console or the web console to launch remote control on the device? Troubleshooting this issue further depends on the method being used to launch RC so please let us know.

Thanks,

Nick