1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 12:22 AM by MarXtar

Power management issue

Rookie

Hi.  I am new at using LANDesk.  I am setting up a policy for power management.  My first step was to test it on a few computers.

I created a new policy that is supposed to 'turn on' the computer at 2:00pm.  I scheduled the policy and then added the computers.  After it successfully deployed, I turned off the computers and waited.  None of the computers ever turned on.

After checking back with the server, it said the computers were successfully turned on.  I noticed that there are scheduled tasks created as well.  This obviously didn't work, despite the 'success' message.

Windows 7 x64 professional

WOL is turned on the NIC

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Power management issue
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

WoL can be 'fun' to get going. It is a broadcast based system so in this case where you have a scheuled time, the Core Server is sending a subnet-directed broadcast to the target machines. The problem is that this is normally blocked at the router level so only machines on the same subnet as your Core would wake.

9.5 included a Wake-On-WAN function that uses the targeted multicast representatives to send the WoL message from within the same subnet as the target machine. However, for this to work you will need to have selected preferred subnet representatives within the target subnet.

We have provided a plug-in for LANDesk for some years now called Wake-On-WAN (how imaginative is that name!?) which can do the same thing but does not need to to have preferred subnet reps and also give more control over things such as shutdown and the use of distribution tasks.

However, whichever route you go, WoL requires at least one LANDesk managed device on the target subnet to be switched on to act as the representative to send the message. If everything is off then nothing can send the message.

At this point you have two options. One is to put machines to sleep rather than turn them off so that local wake-timers can be used. The second is to use vPro technology for wake up as that is direct communication (but needs all your machines to be vPro capable and have that configured securely).

Aside from all of this, make sure your machine is working with WoL in the first place. Yes it may be on in the BIOS, but is it really working. You can get some free stand-alone utilities on the internet to help you test or even use the WoL executable in our product for the testing.

Hope some of this helps.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Expert Solution Provider

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - New Stand-Alone State Notifier Console for Service Desk Operators

Update - State Notifier now detects machine and user Idle states

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality

1 of 1 people found this helpful