10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 8:31 AM by Tim-KGS

Knowledge and Self-Service

Apprentice

We're just getting started with Knowledge Management and I am having a hard time putting together the best way to get the Knowledge to the customers.

Nobody, including Analysts will be using Console.  Everyone will use Web Desk and Self-Service.

Any advice to get me on the right path is appreciated.  I've got a few questions/concerns.

1)  "Article Folders" -- Even in Console, I don't see an option to browse the content of the folders.  What am I missing or what is the point of having folders?

2)  "Knowledge Queries" -- I created a couple within the Article Folders structure.  They don't appaer to be usable as published shortcuts.  Am I missing something or are they only valid in the context of browsing the Article Folders in the Console?

3)  "Types" -- I found the information on modifying these in SQL (odd and disappointing that they just aren't in Categories).  Since I can't seem to find a way to browse Knowledge - is the point of these that you would create queries to search based on Type?

4)  "Knowledge Domains" -- Is there any way to assign a Knowledge Domain to a Role instead of a Group?

5)  The Search at the top of the Self-Service window yields no results when searching for words in the body or keyword list of Knowledge Articles - is that expected? (EDIT:  Just noted that Knowledge Search does not work in Console either)

6)  The big question

• How do you provide Knowlege content to your end-users in Self-Service?  Seems like a Dashboard might work, but the only item I find to add is Knowledge Search
      • I would like them to be able to both Search and Browse the content, based on Folders, Types or Categories (don't really care which as long as I know to build out the structure now)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service
          Apprentice

Maybe I was asking too much here?  How about simply sharing how you provide Knowledge content to your end-users?

Thanks again

• 2. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service
            karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Tim

Most customers that I have spoken to use the search in the top right.  The search should include the body and keywords of articles but you may need to tell the knowledge builder what information to include in the search.  This document might be helpful in finding the cause : I've created a knowledge article but I can't see it or search on it - why?

Regards

Karen

• 3. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service

Thinking some more on this, I probably should've mentioned this guide too in the section called Configuring Knowledge Management LANDesk Service Desk Suite 7.6 Knowledge Management

Regards

Karen

• 4. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service
                Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Karen,

The "search" feature, while somewhat useful seems to provide a mess.  For example during testing I created around 200 Incidents and Requests, many that contained the word "test".  A search for "test" would yield hundreds of results in no real order with no way to drill down thru the content.

In the real world that might translate to a search for "Adobe" where instead of the user getting clear results that have only Knowledge for Adobe, they are going to see hundreds of Incidents and Requests with the word "Adobe" to dig thru.

I realize that I can limit the search so it does not include Incidents/Requests, but that puts us in the opposite side of the problem where my Analyst might actually want to search for previous Incidents about "Adobe" and won't be able to if I filter that content out.

Is there no way for the user to just seach the Knowledge Articles or browse the Articles Types or Article Folders?  Maybe Search, but then select a filter to only see Knowledge?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service

Hi

End Users only search articles from the top right box not incidents, requests etc.. so they can't see those raised by other end users.  The order in which results come back should be based on relevance to your search phrase and instances of matches within the article fields that you have configured the system to match within.

You can also give end users prompted queries to search through and publish these via a shortcut.  I am not sure why you weren't able to get this working but these work the same as any other query.  I am wondering if you created a query within Knowledge Management (which are about managing the articles within that module only) or within Query Designer?  You would need to create these within Query Designer or within Self Service.

Article Types are created on the fly within an article via the hyperlink on the article.  It may be that the Article Type is not on your window or not set to be a label which has a hyperlink.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Karen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service
                    Apprentice

I've got the manual and have read it, but have not seen anything useful regarding sharing the content with the users.  Hence my initial detailed question.  There is practically no content in the manual regarding Self-service or Web Desk. 

There are some great features that I can't seem to find any benefit to -

• "Background searching" -- the manual does not seem to mention if it works in Web Desk/Self Service and if it does, I have not seen it
                    • "Knowledge domains" -- excellent, except that they don't associate with Roles, so I have to make duplicate Roles and Groups to use them
                    • "Knowledge classifications" -- excellent, except that I can't figure out how to show people the "classifications" so it will just be luck, if they get the right search terms
                    • "Article folders" -- excellent, if there was any way to actually see an browse them.  Default article creation process/window also seem to have no relation to the folders so there is no way to actually put something in a folder if I could see them
                    • "Article types"-- excellent, if there was any way to actually see an browse them.
                    • 7. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service
                      Apprentice

"End Users only search articles from the top right box not incidents, requests etc.. so they can't see those raised by other end users.  The order in which results come back should be based on relevance to your search phrase and instances of matches within the article fields that you have configured the system to match within."

-- I just looked at my install and it may be possible that our on-site consultant left me with something that is not correct or something isn't working properly.  Logged in as an end-user, my search is in the upper middle of the screen and yields no results (Knowledge or other).  As an Analyst, I get all Incidents, Requests, Knowledge.  I guess I'll open a ticket.

-- EDIT -- Just looked again and my search is at the top right for Analysts in Web Desk, but in the middle for end-users and analysts in Self-Service.

"You can also give end users prompted queries to search through and publish these via a shortcut.  I am not sure why you weren't able to get this working but these work the same as any other query.  I am wondering if you created a query within Knowledge Management (which are about managing the articles within that module only) or within Query Designer?  You would need to create these within Query Designer or within Self Service."

-- These kinds of ideas are what I was after.  I did try a query, but it was pretty ugly, so I was hoping to get some feedback from the web gurus out there that might have made the experience more friendly.

"Article Types are created on the fly within an article via the hyperlink on the article.  It may be that the Article Type is not on your window or not set to be a label which has a hyperlink."

-- I think I actually took the hyperlink off the Window.  I only forsee this becoming a mess, when people can enter any free form input.  I only imagine ending up with things like "Win2k8", "Windows 2008", "Windows 2k8", "Windows Server 2008"....

• 8. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service

Hi Tim

End Users can only search articles from the top box so this is the way most customers implement knowledge for End Users.  For analysts on Web Desk I have seen a mixture of customers using either queries or the top box (or a combination of both) depending on some of the factors you mentioned.

• "Background searching" -- This is console only at the moment.
                        • "Knowledge domains" -- For example, you can put end users or analysts into a group and give them different sets of information.  For example end users in this location (group) need to  see a different set of instructions on how to request a new security card.  If you have a large number of groups this might be helpful: Importing Knowledge Domain to Group relationships and also this:  Some extra information about how knowledge domains work
                        • "Knowledge classifications" -- These should show within console knowledge management search if they've been configured and the knowledge base rebuilt.
                        • "Article folders" -- I've only seen these used within the Knowledge Management component to organise the articles for approval.
                        • "Article types"-- I've explained above how you manage them.  The article type field can be indexed into the knowledge base build and so when searching the article type can be matched against.

I would advise having a discussion with the support team to talk through your requirements a bit more completely.

Regards

Karen

• 9. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service

Sorry I missed your last post:

-- I just looked at my install and it may be possible that our on-site consultant left me with something that is not correct or something isn't working properly.  Logged in as an end-user, my search is in the upper middle of the screen and yields no results (Knowledge or other).  As an Analyst, I get all Incidents, Requests, Knowledge.  I guess I'll open a ticket.

This could well be down to playing around with knowledge domains?  Once an article has a domain then only groups with explicit access to that domain can see it.  Are your end users in a group that has access or do you have some articles with no domains on that you can look for as a test?  If not this then could it be a permissions issue.

-- I think I actually took the hyperlink off the Window.  I only forsee this becoming a mess, when people can enter any free form input.  I only imagine ending up with things like "Win2k8", "Windows 2008", "Windows 2k8", "Windows Server 2008"...

You can have the hyperlink on the window just for admins / approvers of the kb that you trust to create the article types.  Then create another copy of the window for others users that only allows them to select a type.  Publish the correct window to the right people via window rules.

Yes it would be great for other customers / partners / consultants to also share their experiences.

Regards

Karen

• 10. Re: Knowledge and Self-Service
                            Apprentice

No problem Karen - I appreciate you keeping the dialog open here. 

I am very interested in making this work, but so far the feedback I am getting is that it is not user friendly or useful.  The current push is to use another solution for Knowledge because of the perceeved shortcomings and desire to get the solution running ASAP.

I'll review the Knowledge Domain permissions right now.  It is possible that during testing we moved items outside the scope of end-users.

I'll take the idea of multiple windows into consideration after I get a grasp of the value of the "Types".

Thanks again.