5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 9:35 PM by Alex.Richardson

    9.5 SP1 Inject Script post-image deployment

    Apprentice

        Running 9.5 SP1, after the deploy image step succeeds, the "inject script" step fails with the error "The Web service responded with an invalid call".

       

        What it really means is, it can't copy the XML to the target file name of C:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml . Previously post image deploy, the volumes would be mounted. In 9.5 SP1 it is not.

       

       

        Do I need to manually mount the volume, or am I missing something?

        • 1. Re: 9.5 SP1 Inject Script post-image deployment
          Alex.Richardson SSMMVPGroup

          I assume you are using imagew as otherwise you would have to prepare the drive already if using imagex.

           

          I have found the new version of imagew in SP1 (2.7.9) seems not to mount the volumes like the earlier version did. This means FixWindows will fail as it has nothing to fix so yes you do have to mount the volume.

           

          The other issue is this seems that this is not consistent as I have had imagew sometimes mount the volume as the wrong drive and sometime no mount at all. To counter this I have now added a mount action followed by FixWindows and set both not to stop processing if they fail to cover both scenarios.

           

          Also note that FixWindows and FixUnattend in SP1 are downloaded automatically to x:\ldclient.

           

          Assign SP1.png

          • 2. Re: 9.5 SP1 Inject Script post-image deployment
            Rookie

            Thanks Alex, I noticed the same thing and adding a mount action as you reccomended fixed the issue.

             

            One thing I will mention is I'm not sure that the new version of imagew is the cause. Even if I use the "other" option during imaging and point it to the older copy of imagew, it still fails to consistently mount the partitions after completing the restore.

            • 3. Re: 9.5 SP1 Inject Script post-image deployment
              Apprentice

                Thank you Alex for the ideas and confirmation I'm not crazy.

               

                I am suspicious it's the PE version not causing the mount, but as long as it's reliable I can create the steps accordingly.I try and avoid unnecessary steps whenever possible.

               

                I'm curious, how often have you run into the need for the fixwindows.exe? I've done imaging for a few years with various SCCM and WDS setups and never really ran into a situation where I've seen those kinds of problems. I'm wondering if I should add it to the template.

              • 4. Re: 9.5 SP1 Inject Script post-image deployment
                Alex.Richardson SSMMVPGroup

                I was told that SCCM and or WDS has a similar function behind the scenes to rearrange the drive letters. I use fixwindows all the time as till now was very reliable.

                 

                Just had an interesting failure where the restore of the image mounted the system restore volume as C so then both the mount and fixwindows actions couldn't run and HII failed as there was no windows structure on C for it to work with.

                 

                If it is not imagew version thanks George for testing as this was on my list (also makes sense as it has been out for a long time with no known issues) then it must be something in WinPE 4 causing the issue. Will have to do some more testing and digging if it is going to give these inconsistent results

                • 5. Re: 9.5 SP1 Inject Script post-image deployment
                  Alex.Richardson SSMMVPGroup

                  Well looks like it is a mixture of WinPE 4.0 and imagew causing the problem.

                   

                  WinPE 4.0 by default is assigning drive letters to all the volumes including the system reserved before I was capturing the base image. Imagew was picking up on this even though I do not have the /sig option selected.

                   

                     Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info

                    ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------

                    Volume 0     E                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media

                    Volume 1     C   System Rese  NTFS   Partition    100 MB  Healthy

                    Volume 2     D                NTFS   Partition     59 GB  Healthy

                   

                  Changed this to

                   

                    Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info

                    ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------

                    Volume 0     E                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media

                    Volume 1         System Rese  NTFS   Partition    100 MB  Healthy

                  * Volume 2     C                NTFS   Partition     59 GB  Healthy

                   

                   

                  Once I removed the drive assignment from the System partition as shown above, recaptured and redeployed my c drive assigned to the system partition issue has gone away again. Now just back to the inconsistent drive assignment we started talking about originally