7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 10:47 AM by Brian.Dailey

Take ownership of a request or incident

Apprentice

I have a couple of test requests that are in the 'awaiting managers authorisation' stage. I tried to cancel the requests but they wont cancel, it just adds an entry to the request with the details i typed into the cancel window. Is there a way that i can close or cancel these requests or does the manager have to authorise it before anything else can be done ?

• 1. Re: Take ownership of a request or incident
          Expert

You probably need to modify the process to allow a Resolve or Close at that point.  Just because Close is an option does not mean that it will actually do a Close, the process has to allow it to Close.

• 2. Re: Take ownership of a request or incident
            Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

Check to make sure there is no precondition on the cancel that checks to see if the person trying to cancel is the same as the one who requested.  I've had it in the past where that precondition will only allow the requestor to cancel a request.

• 3. Re: Take ownership of a request or incident
              ITSMMVPGroup

I agree with Homer... it sounds like you have a "Close" action existing at that status, possibly as an Optional Action Instance, that is allowing you to add a Closure object (or whatever it's called) to a collection on the Request.  While what you really need is a manual action in the Process that takes you from that status to the "Closed" status (or whatever your final End-status may be called).

You would need to:

1. Deactivate that particular Request process.
              2. Add in the manual action to Close it, leading to the Closed status.
              3. Reactivate the process
              4. Open those test requests and click the new manual action to move them along to your End status.

-Brian

Edit:

Note, that if you plan on adding a manual action that will actually add a "Closure" object to the request before moving it on to the End status, you will first need to:

1. REMOVE any instances of the (e.g.) "Add Closure" action from the Optional Action Instances on your "Awaiting..." status.
              2. Save your process.
              3. Select the process again and click Modify Process (again)
              4. THEN go about making the changes listed above.
              • 4. Re: Take ownership of a request or incident
                Expert

That "edit" part is because of a long standing bug that has never been fixed.

• 5. Re: Take ownership of a request or incident
                  Apprentice

(edit, scrap this, i just realised it needs to be an optional action instance)

Ok, im understanding all of this, a week ago id be scratching my head. I posted a picture of my current process and from there you can see i drew a red line, my question is do i need to create a new close action instance leading to the end status, or can i just link to an existing close action that already leads to the end status ?

• 6. Re: Take ownership of a request or incident
                    Expert

From each status point you want to be able to select Close as an action, you will need a line going from the status point to a light blue Action Instance, Close.  That Close action will have a line that goes to the red status box of Closed.  The status point itself can't have close as an inherent action.  In my case, Close is limited to just administrators so I can Close an incident but standard analysts can't.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Take ownership of a request or incident
                      ITSMMVPGroup

Russ,

Just to be clear, you don't want it to be an OAI... all that will do is add another Closure object to the collection without changing the status.  What you DO want is a manual Close action that moves the process along.

And to answer your question above, yes.  You can draw a link from your 'Awaiting Managers Authorisation' status to an existing manual Close action that you already have in your process diagram.  You can have many statuses linking TO a particular action.

Here is a good reference for you as to what you can do with each process element:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-6885

-Brian