5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2008 9:47 PM by Jared Barneck

PXE boot freezes at 100%

Rookie

When I boot my thin client with xp embedded, it loads the ramdisk 100%, then as soon as it does, it just sits there with the bar and doesn't do anything else, it just stops at "starting windows preinstallation environement", why does this not go anywhere?

• 1. Re: PXE boot freezes at 100%
          Employee

probably network driver related. click start, get a terminal, and ping your core. if that fails, you need to inject drivers into the PE image; there's a button in the OSD tool that does this. Afterwards, redeploy your PXE rep.

• 2. Re: PXE boot freezes at 100%
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

One other alternative is that you could run out of memory ... how much memory does your client have? The ABSOLUTE minimum is 256 MB, with 512 being more on the safe side.

A lot of variances enter play on account of how much you modified the image - the bigger it gets, the more memory it needs.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 3. Re: PXE boot freezes at 100%
              Rookie

Well I added the network drivers, but with the same result.  My thinclient has 1gb of ram, so that shouldn't be the issue.....It loads the whole ramdisk image, and as soon as the loading screen appears it stops at 0% loaded.  It's the HP 5730 thinclient with xp embedded os.

• 4. Re: PXE boot freezes at 100%
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Thinclient you say? Interesting - I'd expect WinPE itself to be able to actually load - clearly that doesn't happen in your scenario. I suspect something specific to their hardware... or the way they do things.

I would suggest opening a case with LANDesk support, and preparing to send one of the affected machines in - since we probably need to debug on our side what's going on with the hardware you use.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 5. Re: PXE boot freezes at 100%
                  Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

In provisioning you can create a CD image and a USB image.  Can you boot off the CD image or the USB image of WinPE?