7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 2:49 PM by Carl.Simpson

Add Assignment notification

Apprentice

When an analysts clicks the 'Add Assignment' action, they are prompted to chose a group/analyst, check the 'notify assignee' box, enter title and details. This autogenerates an email which gets sent to the assignee. Where do i format this email ? Currently it just generates an email with the content of the 'Details' field, id like to add other information such as the ticket number, a clickable link etc..

• 1. Re: Add Assignment notification
          Expert

In the Details field, you should be able to add "placeholders" for various attributes in the incident etc.  Right-click in the field, and you should be presented with a menu.

The clickable link won't be an option here - but something like {$ApplicationSetting.ProcessApprover.WebAccessApproverURL$} should suffice, as long as this is set in your System Settings in console.

• 2. Re: Add Assignment notification
            ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Russ,

Each instance of Add Assignment in your process allows you to enter/save some content and formatting for the Description (or Details) attribute as the instance data... This gets used as the body of your message, and the Title gets used as Subject.

You may have to look at the Optional Action Instances on a status to find Add Assignment.

I've actually avoided having to do this for all my Assignments by creating a standard calc for Title and Description... I've submitted as a doc when I read your post and will provide a link here as soon as it gets approved.

-Brian

Edit:

Here is the link to that document.

How to standardize Assignment notifications using calculations

• 3. Re: Add Assignment notification
              Expert

We go a step further with notes.  I use a manual action for Add Note and only have a description and Notify user button.  The title always had "Note" in it so I removed Title as well.  I use a manual action for Add Note so I can test to see who added the note.  If the person adding the note is not the owner of the incident, I send the owner of the incident a copy of the note.

• 4. Re: Add Assignment notification
                ITSMMVPGroup

Same here (I assume you're talking about Reminders generated from Notes), notes from a Client automatically email the analyst, while an analyst adding notes has the option to email either/both of the Client or Assigned Analyst....

For most of them I've setup a calc in the Instance Data instead of at the object level, only because Reminders tend to be a little different here or there in the process depending on circumstances.  Using the String.Format function as above, it allows for variable insertion of links to the process (not all our users have access to Self Service) and a variable signature.

• 5. Re: Add Assignment notification
                  Apprentice

I also do the manual action for assignment followed by the automatic reminder, but i hid the notify user button and used decisions to trigger who gets an email after someone adds an assignment or note.

Also, on the reminder that follows the manual action for assignment or note, the checkboxes are confusing.  The checkbox labelled "notify assignee" does not mean email whomever was assigned the incident, it means email whomever is assigned the note, and in reality this means email whatever groups/role/user are in the fields at the bottom of the reminder.  I relabeled my "notify assignee" checkbox to "enable" and put it in a group box with the fields it actually functions with.

For example, I had to check "notify assignee" and put incident/currentassignment/user in the user field below to email the newly assigned analyst.

In my process, if the assignment user is null it emails the assigned group, else it emails the analyst and sends them a text message if they have that setup.

add note.PNG 

notify assignee.PNG

• 6. Re: Add Assignment notification
                    ITSMMVPGroup

Yes, those checkboxes are spurious...

• 7. Re: Add Assignment notification
                      Expert

Nobody uses them so I took them off early and use process to get what I really want done.  Far more effective.