1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 9:45 AM by mrspike

Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?

Rookie

Hi Forumites,

Apologies if this is not the right pace to put it

However i am looking to create a custom definition to uninstall Log Me In from our machines,

We have migrated 300 or so machines from Log Me In,

I already have the query set-up for the machines to remove it however create this custom definition does not seem to be my forte

Thanks

Danny

• 1. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
          Rookie

OK,

Got a little further,

Found a little custom definition from a fellow Forumite, however it is coming up with "Install (Failed while running commands)"

Can any advice?

• 2. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
            Rookie

Also as an update,

6 Machines scanned, 1 success and 5 failed to run commands,

All 6 windows 7 64 bit so the directory is ok, and the install command worked for 1

• 3. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
              Rookie

Logs say the following -

1 patches were found to run

Last status: Done.  1 patches were found

No patch download required for *LogMeIn Removal_Just Detect EXE

Checking for other instances of scanner or software distribution agent

Last status: Waiting

Last status: Done

got mutex

Full screen checking not needed.

IsPresentationRunning will return following: HideOurUI=0, DeferRepair=0

Running pre-install/uninstall script

Running patch *LogMeIn Removal_Just Detect EXE

ShouldScan *LogMeIn Removal_Just Detect EXE before repairing returned: 0

C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\*LogMeIn Removal_Just Detect EXE has no commands - using default command line

Error 2 launching application <C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\*LogMeIn Removal_Just Detect EXE>

DeferredReportAction: name '*LogMeIn Removal_Just Detect EXE', code '1', type '-1', status 'Failed'

Last status: Failed: Could not launch patch

App killer is stopping

Running post-install/uninstall script

RunPatches completed.  1 processed.  0 installed.  1 failures.

• 4. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                mrspike SSMMVPGroup

export your custom def and attach it here, I will take a look at it for you

• 5. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                  Rookie

Adding shortly...

EDIT - Added

• 6. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                    mrspike SSMMVPGroup

I see a couple things....

First:

Under the rule you have called "Just Detect EXE"

Under "Patch Information" you have it set to "This issue can be repaired without downloading a patch"

But... Under "Patch Install Commands" you do not have anything listed, no command....

If you are going to have it set as you do, you must have a command or patch to run.

You have several "Rules", each one will try to process if the specified files, registry keys, etc are found (after passing the affected OS & Products (in present))

So, if you are just trying to "detect only" as the name of the rule points to...  set the Patch Information setting to "This issue cannot be repaired...."

Second...

Under the other rules you have, I checked out LANDesk calls msiexec (see the Skype for Business patch) and how you are calling it... not sure if your method would work or not, if not, try the way LANDesk calls it..

Here is how LANDesk calls msiexec

calling_msi1.jpg

Here is how you are calling it

calling_msi2.jpg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                      Rookie

Hi Spike

Thanks for that

Ill take a look tomorrow when im back in the office (uk time)

I am simply wanting it to detect the exe and if its then uninstall logmein

Thanks

Danny

• 8. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                        Rookie

Hi MrSpike

I have edited how you suggested,

I will now pray that it uninstalls logmein for me otherwise it will be a 300+ strong process

Is there any other pointers you can give to assist with this automated removal?

Thanks

Danny

• 9. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Danny,

I did some searching and found this thread, it might help you...., worth testing on a box

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/188487-uninstall-of-logmein

There is more to the writeup, but in short, you can try this manually on a system to see if it works:

To perform a command line uninstall:

1. Open Command Prompt (If in Windows Vista/7, make sure you run Command Prompt as an Administrator)

2. Type cd c:\program files\logmein\x86 (x64 if using a 64-bit OS) and hit Enter

3. Type logmein uninstall and hit Enter

4. Once the uninstall is complete, reboot the computer

• 10. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Took a quick look at your new version, it looks like it should work.  I cannot install that program here at work to test it..

Your first rule, the detect only will detect if the .exe if found, but will not patch, the other rules you have are looking for GUIDs, if found, they should then attempt to fix the issue.

A word about best practices... I used to hard code the path like you did, but found using variables to be both more reliable and simpler.

In this case, for the file paths you could use something like these:

%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\LogMeIn\LogMeIn.exe

%PROGRAMFILES%\LogMeIn\LogMeIn.exe

Also, what I did for a similar issue in removing Java where the GUIDs are plenty, I create a batch file that listed all of the known GUIDs like this:

:REM 1.5.0.160

MsiExec.exe /X{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150160} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

:REM 1.5.0.170

MsiExec.exe /X{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150170} /qn REBOOT=Suppress

I ended the batch file with this:

Exit /B 0

That would have it report back a success to LANDesk, whether it worked or not... you could add a lot of logic to get error codes back after each, but I did not

It went down the line and would remove any of the GUIDs / Products that were found.

I was able to create just one rule and added all of the GUIDs to that rule instead of one per rule like you did.  If you do not have a lot GUIDs that can be ok... but in the case of Java I have over 60 to look for.

• 11. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                              Rookie

Just tried -

1. Open Command Prompt (If in Windows Vista/7, make sure you run Command Prompt as an Administrator)

2. Type cd c:\program files\logmein\x86 (x64 if using a 64-bit OS) and hit Enter

3. Type logmein uninstall and hit Enter

4. Once the uninstall is complete, reboot the computer

Is it going to be better to run a patch command for the detect exe and if it finds it then do that script?

If so (sorry to be cheeky but i really am a novice in this) how would i do so?

Thank you for all your help patience and time MrSpike

Thanks

Danny

p.s. i think that the uninstall isnt working as there is more GUIDs like yourself and java, if the above would be a solution this would be much better via custom def to create a few rules with regards to where the file MUST NOT exist if it does run this script? or can it all be in the same custom def?

• 12. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                                Rookie

Oh and i hard pathed it because even in the log me in folder there is still 2 directories, 1 for 86 and 1 for 64

• 13. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                                  Rookie

Just been looking into it a little further, created a .bat file with

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn\x86\"

logmein uninstall

test it on a test box and it worked!

So i need to hard path it for each exe detected and remove them other rules

• 14. Re: Custom Definition to remove LogMeIn?
                                    Rookie

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your great help and patience you've been a credit to the community,

Here is my latest revision (ignore the rule name not update that yet)

This is now working with your suggestions and have been gettings a nice success rate, been seeing some fails but thats because it fails to run one of the rules and then a success straight after saying it worked as it tries the other rule

Thanks again!

1 2 Previous Next