12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 1:42 PM by Brian.Dailey

Auto populate user in change control

Apprentice

Currently my change control window allows the analyst to select their name from a drop down list, the other details such as phone/email etc all auto populate based upon the name chosen. We had an incident whereby an analyst selected a name other than their own, the user who received the emails pertaining to that change was not very happy. We will never have a situation where someone will put in a change for someone else. So is there a way that i can get that drop down selection to auto populate the persons name who is logged in at the time ?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Auto populate user in change control
          ITSMMVPGroup

If you create a template for your process, you should be able to use a Value Type on the RaiseUser attribute to set it to CurrentUser.

-Brian

Edit:  That would just set it to the current logged-in user, they could still choose another user later... to set the RaiseUser to only be the logged-in user and prevent them from changing it, you could set it to ReadOnly and use a Copy Rule to populate it for them.

1. Setup a Copy Rule for Change,
            • set Events to "Initialize"
            • set Target to "RaiseUser"
            • set Source to "$CurrentUser$" (listed at bottom under Attribute Macros)
          2. Set the Protection Level for RaiseUser to ReadOnly on your Change window.

et voila 

• 2. Re: Auto populate user in change control
            ITSMMVPGroup

Currently, we use this setup for RaiseUser initialization on Incidents/Requests... but we don't limit them from changing it with the read-only Protection Level.

• 3. Re: Auto populate user in change control
              Expert

You say a Change will never be for another user.  I bet you could think of a case where you will break that rule.  I would make it default to the current user because 99.9% of the time it will be correct.  But it's nice having the ability to change the raise user if needed and some day you will be glad you left it open.

• 4. Re: Auto populate user in change control
                Apprentice

Thanks for the info, ill be setting this up this morning and will come back here if i have any questions. One other thing im not sure about, the CEO who received the emails about the Change cannot approve it, he gets an xml error about not having the required permissions. His usertype is End User, his roles are Supervisor and SelfServiceGuest, he is a member of the Change Control group. What do i need to change or add to allow him to approve this change ? how is 'who can approve a change' decided by servicedesk ?

• 5. Re: Auto populate user in change control
                  Expert

It's all in the permissions.  Unless you have a custom action, you probably want a Change Control Approver group with Approve and Reject being allowed.  You probably don't want just anyone approving and rejecting Changes.

• 6. Re: Auto populate user in change control
                    Apprentice

I set up the copy rule, so now the field fills in automatically. I also have a copy rule that populates a field called 'Manager', depending upon the entry in the RaiseUser field. Because the RaiseUser field is auto populated now, the manager field is remaining blank. How do i fix the manager copy rule to populate the Manager field still ?

• 7. Re: Auto populate user in change control
                      ITSMMVPGroup

Russ,

I have similar Copy rules set for Location and Department...  when I click "New Incident" it generates an incident with myself as the RaiseUser but DOES NOT fire-off the copy rules for Location/Department, they remain blank at first.  However, as soon as I select a Category for the incident the copy rules fill in Location and Department.

Have you tried moving forward with creating the ticket to see if your rules fire as well?  fyi... I have those rules set for Create/Update/Value Changed.

-Brian

• 8. Re: Auto populate user in change control
                        ITSMMVPGroup

Per Homer's comment about allowing users to specify another RaiseUser...

You could allow specific groups of users to create Changes for others just by using a View to specify a different window for them where the RaiseUser attribute is not set to a ReadOnly protection level.  Everyone else gets the standard window with read-only RaiseUser set to themselves.

Or, you can go his route and allow everyone access to change it, just keeping the copy rule to auto-fill CurrentUser as a default.

-Brian

• 9. Re: Auto populate user in change control
                          Apprentice

Thanks for that info. For the rule that doesnt fire, what do you have the overwrite policy boxes set to ?

• 10. Re: Auto populate user in change control
                            ITSMMVPGroup

I have them set to Overwrite/Clear if empty... don't want it keeping data from the previous selection if RaiseUser changes.

-Brian

• 11. Re: Auto populate user in change control
                              Apprentice

Perfect. I changed the rule to create/change/update and it works once the change is submitted. We dont have a category list in our initial change window yet, dont ask, long story. That works, thanks for your help !

• 12. Re: Auto populate user in change control
                                ITSMMVPGroup

Yeah.. kinda figured it should populate based on Create once you saved the ticket.  I'm not entirey sure why mine copies when a Category is selected, must be firing off one of the events though.  Nothing happens when entering data elsewhere on the window, only Category.

I'm sure mine would get filled in when the tik gets saved too, just can't test that theory because Category is mandatory. 

-Brian