1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 8:12 AM by scchelp

OSD failure Imagew does not load

Rookie

Hi,

I am using WinPE with an OSD script to deploy an image to a IBM A31 Laptop. All drives mount and everything is good until the script tries to launch imagew and start the restore. The A31 is an older machine with an IDE drive. I can go to a console and type in the commands manually and imagew launches fine and the image succesfully restores. I'm stuck on this one. Here is part of the log file where it hangs.

"00028A21C2E5","OK",0,0:00:03,5/19/2008 2:31:25 PM,5/19/2008 2:31:28 PM,"cmd /c format /Y /FS:NTFS /Q /V:C-DRIVE c:"

"00028A21C2E5","ERR_Fail",-1917386769,0:00:01,5/19/2008 2:31:28 PM,5/19/2008 2:31:29 PM,"RunBatch -1 h:\osd\imaging imagew.exe /RN /O i:\LANDES1\IBM\LapTop\IBM-A31\IBM-A3~1.IMG, STATUS FACILITY=3510, SYNC"

; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
          Rookie

Hi sjaggers

http://community.landesk.com/support/thread/2260?tstart=0

Does your core have the agent installed on ? from my previous hunting around I did see someone mention that the core should have the agent installed.

• 2. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
            Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I also failed to mention earlier that I am PXE booting the machine. I'm not sure that "not seeing the hard drive" is the problem. There is no place in BIOS to make any changes and this is an IDE drive so SATA compatibility mode is not in question. The reason I don't think it seeing the drive is a problem is due to the fact that I can manually type in the command and the restore process starts ok. It just seems to fail to launch imagew. The agent is installed on the core server.

• 3. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
              Employee

Is your IBM Laptop running Windows XP -SP3?

• 4. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
                Apprentice

I have seen this caused by long path names with lots of ~ in them.  Try shortening the path and use 8.3 nomenclature.

I have also been able to fix it by replacing the /O option with the /C option for imagew.

so change:

REMEXECxx=RunBatch -1 h:\osd\imaging imagew.exe /RN /O i:\LANDES1\IBM\LapTop\IBM-A31\IBM-A3~1.IMG, STATUS FACILITY=3510, SYNC

to:

REMEXECxx=RunBatch -1 h:\osd\imaging imagew.exe /RN /C i:\LANDES1\IBM\LapTop\IBM-A31\IBM-A3~1.IMG, STATUS FACILITY=3510, SYNC

Hope that helps.

• 5. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
                  Rookie

XP SP-2. Thanks!

• 6. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
                    Rookie

Tarmour,

I shortened the path and there was no change. I have several other images with similar paths that work well. However I did change the /O to /C and now I see imagew quickly flash on the screen and then close. If you blink you will miss it. It also does not keep the /C setting. I did an advance edit and changed it but when I go back and look at the log file it is back to a /O. The log file remains the same otherwise, same error code. Thanks!

• 7. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
                      Apprentice

hmm odd that it didn't save.

try advanced edit on the script and at the end you should see something like:

REMEXEC37=RunBatch -1 X:\LDCLient x:\ldclient\FixVista.bat

REMEXEC38=diskinfo extend_last_partition

REMEXEC39=reboot, timeout=2

Remove the whole last line there (the REMEXEC39 here).  After the restore fails launch a new console from the go button.

goto the h:\osd\imaging dir and type:

imagew.exe /RN /O i:\LANDES1\IBM\LapTop\IBM-A31\IBM-A3~1.IMG

if that fails (and I expect it to fail) then try with the /C:

imagew.exe /RN /C i:\LANDES1\IBM\LapTop\IBM-A31\IBM-A3~1.IMG

the /C may not fix your issue, but it will show us for sure.

Also if advance edit does not save your work you can edit the script directly at
                      \ldmain\scripts\{YourScriptName}.ini

• 8. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
                        Apprentice

This may not be the case for you but I have had issues with ImageW thinking the target drive was not large enough to hold the image being deployed.  ImageW would flash on the screen for a split second but would give no error or status, just closes.  If I ran it manually in WinPE it usually worked but sometimes it would state that the "destination drive is not large enough".  Found out the PC the image was taken from had a slightly different hard drive than the one being deployed.

Fixed the issue by creating a smaller partition before capturing the image, around 15GB for the Windows install was plenty and ensured any size hard drive would accept the image.  Works great for HII too.  Hope that helps.

• 9. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
                          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Yeah...that is why the BKM says to always create a partition smaller than the smallest hard drive you are going to deploy to.

Best Known Method for Deploying Windows XP using Windows PE

It is listed on Page 7 as Mistake 2.

• 10. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
                            Rookie

I will try these things this afternoon or tomorrow. I had to move on to some other stuff. I won't say that the HD size is not an issue but this is the same machine that the image was made on so the drive size hasn't chaned.

• 11. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load

That is an odd error.  It doesn't really translate well to an ImageW error.

Facility: 3510

Error: 65519

It may be that the 65519 is signed, in which case it would be 17, which means a Device_Error.  So even if it is 17, the error 17 is not so specific.

So you run the exact command manually and it works fine?

RunBatch -1 h:\osd\imaging imagew.exe /RN /O i:\LANDES1\IBM\LapTop\IBM-A31\IBM-A3~1.IMG

• 12. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
                                Rookie

Yes it does launch ok when I run it manually from the command line. I'm beggining to suspect another problem now. I just got a call from a guy that tried the HP4400 image and it said it told him that he had to be logged on with admin privledges to perform the operation. He was trying to image the computer via PXE boot. He clicked ok and it stayed at the winpe screen. This imaged worked fine last week. Here is the error.

"001B3891195D","OK",1,0:00:00,5/21/2008 3:29:35 PM,5/21/2008 3:29:35 PM,"cmd /c format /Y /FS:NTFS /Q /V:C-DRIVE c:"

"001B3891195D","ERR_Fail",-1917386769,0:01:33,5/21/2008 3:29:35 PM,5/21/2008 3:31:08 PM,"RunBatch -1 h:\osd\imaging imagew.exe /RN /O i:\LANDES1\HP\tablet\COMPAQ2\COMPAQ~1.IMG, STATUS FACILITY=3510, SYNC"

; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

He is booting from a different PXE rep but they are on the same core server. I created a script for a new computer today and it worked well. No errors at all. I don't know how these could be related but something is strange.

Where did Error: 65519 come from? Thanks!

• 13. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load

When you get prompted to be an administrator on a box, it is almost always cause the SATA driver didn't install.

• 14. Re: OSD failure Imagew does not load
                                    Rookie

rhyous,

I'll buy that about the sata driver. I need to get a hold of the HP4400 and try it again here in the shop. I just thought it was odd that I was getting the same error code.

1 2 Previous Next