5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 9:39 AM by MarXtar

scripting

Rookie

is the scripting in landesk vb, powershell, dos, or what? and dose landesk provid any traning in the scripting?

• 1. Re: scripting
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

LANDesk doesn't actually do the scripting it delivers the script you want to execute. A number of the ones listed are standard when you are adding packages in the console. You can pretty much use whatever you want.

They don't train you on scripting. Here is a useful link for learning scripting and other things:

http://www.w3schools.com/

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Expert Solution Provider

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - New Stand-Alone State Notifier Console for Service Desk Operators

Update - State Notifier now detects machine and user Idle states

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality

• 2. Re: scripting
            Rookie

I understand that, but you can do some type of scripts as when you go to landesk 9.0 and you have the option of new file transfer script or costom script, i was tring to find out what lanage it uses.  I have been gettin gby with soem coping scripts but need more indept understanding of it for more complex scripting in landesk.

• 3. Re: scripting
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

These are not standard scripts like you are listing. They are LANDesk's own 'custom scripts'.  The are simple sequential tasks scripts. If you look at example scripts such as the inventory scanner script under Manage Scripts and PXE Rep deployment/removal scripts under OS Provisioning then you will see quite a bit of information about the sections and different types of commands.

If you have any specific questions maybe I could answer some of them here.

Mark McGinn

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

• 4. Re: scripting
                Rookie

I need to learn how to copy full directorys down, how to inject regestry settings and other things that can be done, and the command i have foudn are like remexec locdir and others so tringto find out the logic behind it and the higharche so i can start to learn how to do a lot of it.

• 5. Re: scripting
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

OK. You can't copy folders only individual files.  Perfect examples of these are in the PXE Rep scripts. The source must be held locally on the core server, cannot be anywhere else.

Registry keys can't be done using a standard command, you would really be using remexec to launch something like regedit /s to import a registry file or using remcopy followed by a remexec to run the import.

Often the easiest way is to use remexec with cmd /c followed by standard DOS commands e.g. REMEXEC1=cmd /c xcopy ......

You can learn how to use sdclient.exe for file copy routines too as that gives you bandwidth control that you wouldn't get with remcopy. For these take a look at OSD scripts paying attention to the sdclient lines using /f switches.

locexec (or on 'loc' commands) always happen on the core and you would have these in the premachine sections. Not often used but possibly good for preparing something before the task is then launched on machines.

MACHINE sections occur on each target machine. Some script examples teach you how to have different command sets for different OS types.

I like these scripts as they are quick and powerful but they are also very limited as they must be pushed to a machine that is currently online. Also, if you need anything beyond standard copy/exec commands you really need to start using dos commands called by a remexec line.

Command numbering....

Commands are run in the order they are shown. The number makes no difference except that it must be unique. e.g.

REMEXEC999=

REMEXEC123=

REMEXEC123=

999 would run and then 123 would run. The second 123 would be ignored.

Hope this helps. If you search the community or even on google you may find some very old custom script documents but actually you can learn by using the examples in the areas I've highlighted.

Mark McGinn

1 of 1 people found this helpful