9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 8:57 AM by taihard

HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode

Rookie

After updating to 9.5 sp1, HII doesn't seem to be working properly. When trying to image an optiplex 780 with HII it doesn't find any drivers for it. I loaded the HIIClient.exe onto a base 780 machine to run preview on it and as you can see in the log files it finds the drivers just fine but when trying to run it with out /preview it says it can't find any drivers.

Commands used were: HIIClient.exe /uncpath \\(path here) /preview /os win7 /arch x86

HIIClient.exe /uncpath \\(path here) /os win7 /arch x86

Now I'm not sure if it was sp1 that caused HII to stop working or not because pre sp1 I never tried to image any 780s but our lenovo all in ones worked fine and now post sp1 I don't have any lenovos right now to see if they still work, all I know is the 780s aren't working.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode
          Employee

Hi taihard!

Running HII in Windows mode will only do preview (which seems to be working) or, if run without /preview or /previewall, will process manually assigned driver packages (executables through software distribution).  If you run in WinPE it will correctly process all autodetected drivers and manually assigned inf files.

Can you try to run that in WinPE and let me know if you get the drivers you're looking for?

Thanks!

• 2. Re: HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode
            Rookie

Hi thanks for the reply!

I have already run it in WinPE and when it gets to the HII part, it flashes the dos box and then disappears with out finding any drivers, the rest of the image seems to work fine. This is why I ran it in windows with the /preview to see if it could even find the drivers and it seems to, so I don't know why it doesn't work in WinPE. Let me know what else I need to do to gather any needed information.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode
              Employee

OK, here's a few things about the commands you are running.

1 - /uncpath will go to the core server and get the HII repository path directly from there.  There is no need to supply the path.  Even if you do it is ignored and whatever is configured from the core is used.

2 - In non-preview mode the os and arch parameters are also ignored.  We will gather drivers based on whatever OS is on the hard disk, so those are redundant.

So, go to WinPE and run hiiclient.exe /uncpath.  That should create an HII log file in the \Windows\Temp directory on the client hard drive (not the WinPE RAMDisk).  Attach that log file and let's see what we find.  If that doesn't give us everything then we'll ask for a copy of your drivers db3 file and a log file from running /previewAll to see what we're up against.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode
                Rookie

Ok, here is the log file from running hiiclient.exe /uncpath from the WinPE environment:

*****************  Starting HIIClient *****************

Command line args: /uncpath \\msp-fs01\landesk\drivers /os win7 /arch x86

OS parameter detected.

Architecture parameter detected.

Running in Windows

GetImageSystemDirectory: c:\Windows

HII Proxy Location: http://ESA-LANDESK01.lhm.com/LANDesk/ManagementSuite/Core/Core.WebServices/hii.asmx

Driver path found: \\msp-fs01\LANDesk\Drivers

Determining OS version and architecture.

OS Major version: 6

OS Minor version: 1

OS Product type: 0

Major and Minor version and product type gathered.

Architecture is: X86

source path to download: \\msp-fs01\LANDesk\Drivers\drivers.db3

dest path for download: c:\Windows\LDDriverStore\drivers.db3

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 About to call DownloadFiles (1 files) with these settings:

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 m_allowedBandwidthWAN: 100

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 m_allowedBandwidthLAN: 100

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 m_maxDiscoveryThreads: 15

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 m_discardPeriodSeconds: 604800

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 m_preserveDirectoryStructure: 1

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 m_bUseWanBWForPush: 0

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 m_bSynchronize: 0

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 m_downloadControl: SourceOnly

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:50 m_preferredServerControl: AttemptPreferredServer

Opening SQLite3 database at location: c:\Windows\LDDriverStore\drivers.db3

Device manufacturer discovered as: Dell Inc.

Device model discovered as: OptiPlex 780

Found MakeModel_Idn 2

Downloading from downloadfiles!

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 About to call DownloadFiles (0 files) with these settings:

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 m_allowedBandwidthWAN: 100

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 m_allowedBandwidthLAN: 100

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 m_maxDiscoveryThreads: 15

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 m_discardPeriodSeconds: 604800

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 m_preserveDirectoryStructure: 1

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 m_bUseWanBWForPush: 0

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 m_bSynchronize: 0

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 m_downloadControl: SourceOnly

Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:05:52 m_preferredServerControl: AttemptPreferredServer

Download return count: 0

OS Version: 6.1

No drivers were found that matched the hardware.

*****************  Finish HIIClient *****************

*****************  Starting HIIClient *****************

Command line args: /uncpath

Running in WinPE

HII Proxy Location: http://ESA-LANDESK01/LANDesk/ManagementSuite/Core/Core.WebServices/hii.asmx

Driver path found: \\msp-fs01\LANDesk\Drivers

Determining OS version and architecture.

LoadReg() systemDirectory command: reg load HKLM\SOFTWARE1 c:\Windows\system32\config\software

Registry successfully loaded.

OS Major version: 6

OS Minor version: 1

OS Product type: 0

Major and Minor version and product type gathered.

Registry successfully unloaded.

Architecture is: X86

source path to download: \\msp-fs01\LANDesk\Drivers\drivers.db3

dest path for download: c:\Windows\LDDriverStore\drivers.db3

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 About to call DownloadFiles (1 files) with these settings:

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 m_allowedBandwidthWAN: 100

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 m_allowedBandwidthLAN: 100

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 m_maxDiscoveryThreads: 15

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 m_discardPeriodSeconds: 604800

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 m_preserveDirectoryStructure: 1

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 m_bUseWanBWForPush: 0

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 m_bSynchronize: 0

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 m_downloadControl: SourceOnly

Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:31:21 m_preferredServerControl: AttemptPreferredServer

Failed to download the driver.db3 file - HII will not continue

Failed to get driver files list.

ProcessDrivers failed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, when the computer was first imaged yesterday it looks like it loaded the .db3 file just fine but didn't find any matching drivers but it appears that this time when I ran it, it couldn't load the .db3 file.

Edit: I also want to add that the drivers directory does have accessible permissions, so it shouldn't be a permissions issue. That shared folder is set to allow "Everyone" to R/W

Edit 2: It looks like I do have some sort of permissions issue. When I am in WinPE and I try and manually run the command copy \\msp-fs01\landesk\drivers\drivers.db3 c:\users\adminstrator\desktop I get an access denied. Let me get the permissions worked out and then I will rerun the hiiclient.exe to see what the log file says.

• 5. Re: HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode
                  Rookie

We are having a tough time figuring out this permissions issue... all the permissions seem to be set correctly to allow it to connect to the driver share but it's not working from within WinPE... what credentials / command does hiiclient try to use to copy the db3 file?

When running hiiclient.exe from inside windows (not WinPE) when I do hiiclient.exe /uncpath I get the "failed to download the driver.db3 file" but when I do hiiclient.exe /uncpath /preview (or /previewall) it copies and opens the .db3 file just fine. What would cause it to not be able to download the .db3 file without /preview but allow it to download with /preview?

Thanks for your continued help.

• 6. Re: HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode
                    Employee

Sorry about the delay on this.  HiiClient will try to use preferred server credentials.  In addition to the preview vs. not preview option you also have a difference that it looks like you are running one in Windows and the other in WinPE.  In Windows if the currently logged on user already has rights to the share where the HII driver database is stored there will be no attempt to authenticate.  Obviously in WinPE there is no rights to that share, so we attempt to authenticate using the credentials stored in the Preferred Server setup.

That's the first thing I'd check.

• 7. Re: HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode
                      Rookie

Ok looking at the preferred server credentials, we finally go the "test credentials" to say it was successfull so now there shouldn't be a problem with credentials and permissions right? But after booting into WinPE and doing a HIIClient.exe /unc /previewall I am still getting a "Failed to download the driver.db3 file - HII will not continue". Is there anything else I can try to get this fixed?

Thanks again and sorry for the delay on this reply, I've been out of town.

• 8. Re: HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode
                        bnelson Employee

The HII setup path to the core, does it match the preferred server? In other words, is one fully qualified while ythe other is not? I have seen that create this issue. I have also seen where you just have to delete the preferred server and then recompile the HII db3.

• 9. Re: HII preview works but not when running HII in regular mode
                          Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that did not work. HII setup path and preferred server are both fully qualified. I tried del preferred server and readding it then recompiling .db3 file but that did not work either. I'm going to try moving the drivers to a different folder and try that but I may submit a ticket with landesk so I can get some hands on help.

Thanks!

EDIT:

So after a good long remote session with a helpful agent from landesk tech support, it looks like the whole time the problem was that the web server on our file share where the drivers are located wasn't allowing .db3 MIME types to be downloaded. After adding in the .db3 MIME type everything seems to be working now.