9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 11:09 AM by Brian.Dailey

Calculation on manual actions

KaiEilert Apprentice

Hi all,

is it somehow possible to run a calculation on manual actions that pull data from the main referenced process object?

Maybe with the new 7.6.1 functionality "Displaying attributes from the parent process on a collection window"

e.g. you want to create a change from an incident and the raise user from the incident is already pre populated on the manual action "create change".

The workaround with a "wrapper action" is not a acceptable solution in this case. sorry

Regards

Kai

• 1. Re: Calculation on manual actions
          ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Kai,

With a Manual action, if you choose a specific Default Process for the action you should also be able to specify a Template to use, which should allow you to specify starting values... unfortunately, and for what reason I don't know, templates only allow you to enter hardcoded values and not use Value Types/Calculations.

HOwever... you can setup some Copy Rules to move the data over, as long as the two items (i.e., Incident and Change) are linked.

ex_CopyRulesIncidentChange.png

You wouldn't need it set to Overwrite, and you definitely don't want it set to "Clear target" if empty... otherwise it could negatively affect Changes that you created on their own.

I don't use Changes, so haven't tested this particular rule... but use many like it without issue.  The hardest part to figure out is referencing the originating Incident through the linking object "IncidentChanges".  Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

-Brian

• 2. Re: Calculation on manual actions
            KaiEilert Apprentice

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your hints. I tried a copy rule on a simple assignment action. This works but only after the action got saved. this is too late. The values should be pre populated when the action window opens.

Here is my test copy rule. I included 2 events just to be sure:

CopyRuleAssignment.JPG

As far as I am aware pre populating manual actions never worked in service desk.

Regards

Kai

• 3. Re: Calculation on manual actions
              ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Kai,

I believe the Initialize event can only be used to pull the CurrentUser and CurrentGroup values, so you don't really need that there (doesn't hurt, though).

Now... this may sound odd, but try your action again and this time try selecting the Category.  In other instances I've found that this can *nudge* things forward to where the events fire and the Copy rule works before having to save the object.

-Brian

• 4. Re: Calculation on manual actions
                KaiEilert Apprentice

Hi Brian,

I am not quite sure what you mean with selecting the Category.

A second copy rule that gets the Category from the Incident Object? The Action that I am trying to pre populate does not have the incident category reference.

Cheers!

Kai

• 5. Re: Calculation on manual actions
                  ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Kai,

No, what I'm saying is that I see the same behaviour... the Copy rules wouldn't fire until saving a new object.  But when I start a new Incident and then select a value for the Category, it triggers some event that caused the Copy rule to fire before saving anything.  THat's all I know.  If anyone from LD can chime in on why this happens...?

I believe only Copy rules that use the Initialize event are supposed to fire before the object is saved, and they can only be used to pull the CurrentUser and/or CurrentGroup for the person logged in.

-Brian

• 6. Re: Calculation on manual actions
                    KaiEilert Apprentice

Hi Brian,

I am still not following on what you mean.

However I seem to doubt that pre populating manual actions work in 7.6.1.

The Change log only mentions that the referenced attributes now get displayed before saving the action. However not pre populating any new attributes on the action window...

Cheers,

Kai

• 7. Re: Calculation on manual actions
                      ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Kai,

Unfortunately, I don't have 7.6.x to play with... but I would imagine if it's possible in 7.5.x then it should work in 7.6 too, unless something's been broken.

With 7.6 however, you might have some other alternatives.  I've heard that calculations in 7.6 have some added capabilities, so it may also be possible for you to write a calc that can pull the info you need.  But you will need to troll the forums for write-ups on the new calculation features in 7.6, or maybe submit a request.

-Brian

• 8. Re: Calculation on manual actions
                        KaiEilert Apprentice

Thank you. I will see what I can find on this issue.

• 9. Re: Calculation on manual actions
                          ITSMMVPGroup

Whatever you find, feel free to bounce it off us here for more input... and I'll see if I can think of anything else.

-B